Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KIck starterS....

Hey guys,
    This may be a silly question, but when did suzuki stop putting kick starts on the bikes? I have a 1980 GS550 and it's electric only, I guess thats my only real pet peave with the bike. Don't suppose a kicker could be retro-fit, could it :P

Re: KIck starterS....

1979 was the last year for kickstart. No, its really not practical to retrofit a kickstart to a later model.

Earl

Originally posted by zaboz
    Hey guys,
    This may be a silly question, but when did suzuki stop putting kick starts on the bikes? I have a 1980 GS550 and it's electric only, I guess thats my only real pet peave with the bike. Don't suppose a kicker could be retro-fit, could it :P
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I had a 1979 GS850G for a couple of years. It was the only GS I've owned with a kickstart. I probably used the kickstart twice in the time I had it. It has very little leverage, the crank moves only a fraction of a revolution, and it's just plain dumb. I'm glad Suzuki removed it from the 850 the following year. I've had an 80 GS850, two 82's, and now my 1100GK. None of these have a kickstarter, and I never missed it.

Why do you need a kickstart? For the same reason one needs a handcrank for a car. It's silly, and totally unnecessary. If the bike is roadworthy, if the electrics are functioning properly, then you need a kickstarter like a hole in the head.

Nick

Comment

Could be Handy

Hey Nick,

These old bikes don't always stay road-worthy and the electrics don't always function properly. For that reason, a kick starter might come in handy......of course, it wouldn't come in nearly as handy as a steep hill!!!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

These old bikes don't always stay road-worthy and the electrics don't always function properly. For that reason, a kick starter might come in handy......

Nonsense. All our bikes are old. Even my 1984 GK is 19 years old. If the electrics are old, one replaces the wires, connections, etc., with quality components. Age is no excuse for failure to keep a bike in tiptop mechanical and electrical shape.

Our obligation as GS owners is to stay right on top of these old bikes and continue maintaining them in top shape, and riding them to our hearts' content.

Nick

Comment

Its tough when I am obliged to agree with Nick

Comment

Hey how do you keep it in tip top shape when it is always on its side in the driveway??

Comment

You keep it in top shape by:
                1. Getting it back into perfect shape in the first place.
                2. Maintaining it religiously.
                3. Riding the hell out of it.

One of the worst enemies of our beloved bikes is being neglected -- not ridden and not maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  You keep it in top shape by:
                  1. Getting it back into perfect shape in the first place.
                  2. Maintaining it religiously.
                  3. Riding the hell out of it.

One of the worst enemies of our beloved bikes is being neglected -- not ridden and not maintained.
                  I've presently got three bikes, but the (non-shaft) GS is the main one. I put between 12 - 15,000 on it a year, stay on top of the maintenance and listen to my (very good) mechanic. And of course give him a lot of money.

I haven't been on the bike now for over two hours, but last I knew it was running sweet.

I agree - I'd almost rather buy a GS with 60K that was somewhat regularly ridden (or owned by Hap) than a 20-year old bike with 15K.
                  "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by ccammers
                    Hey how do you keep it in tip top shape when it is always on its side in the driveway??
                    Firt i would like to say GO BURY YOURSELF UNDER A SNOW BANK 8O
                    I wasnt talking about the engine guards and foot pegs
                    BUT i spend many hours a year touching up electrical connections. I also made new battery, starter motor and solenoids cables. I even got the job done with a bit of coaching from JB. I have done the same to my 1980 yammy and found many horribly rusty connections and cables.
                    Its cheap insurance. I almost replaced the battery because of dirty connections on the starter button

Comment

Beating a dead horse....

Things don't always wear out when it's convenient and mechanical things break, even if you do the best you possibly can to prevent it. Batteries are precarious and problems occur. If you're out on the road and your engine won't turn over.......you'd have to be a half-wit not to at least WISH you had a kick starter (and understand how it might be helpful). I haven't recently had the need for one but I'm realistic enough to at least understand how it might come in handy. :roll:
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I agree, trying to push start a GS400 is a pain in the but if it has saddlebags and camping gear on it. Actually, jumping on top of her without falling over is the hard part...

Comment

Fine, chuckycheese. Good luck putting a kickstarter on your bike.

Not once in 17 years of GS ownership has a bike of mine ever refused to start at the first push of a button. Dumb luck perhaps, but I doubt it.

Nick

Comment

I guess I better buy a car with a handcrank in case I leave my lights on and run down the battery..... :twisted:

Comment

I agree with Chucky. Not that I'd worry too much having a bike without a kick starter, but since I have one I wouldn't hesitate to use it if for instance I noticed my battery not charging some distance from home. I'm all for maintaining my bike to the best of my ability, there will always be unforseen failures an any mechanical device, it's a fact of life. Just ask NASA, and no one is more on top of their stuff than them. And however Suzuki designed the kick starter on my bike, it will start it up on the first kick.

Comment

Working...
                              X