No announcement yet.

KIck starterS....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe you would say such a thing. Suzuki isn't into fashion statements (excluding the 80's Katanas). Yea it might seem "cool" to start the bike with a kick starter but it was also useful for:

1) Getting the bike started if the battery was weak
    2) Like Steve's problem - the starter isn't working
    3) Get some oil circulating through the engine after it has been sitting the in the garage for an extended period of time
    4) Tune ups - setting the point gap and adjusting valves

Originally posted by earlfor
    Somehow, it just isnt a motorcycle if it doesnt have a kick starter. Using it has nothing to do with it. :-) Its like having a Harley. A Harley isnt a motorcycle. Its a fashion statement.

Earl

Comment

That was intended as humor. OF COURSE a kick starter is useful to have and a Harley by any definition actually is a motorcycle. :-) However, we can certainly debate the degree of how good a motorcycle a HD is. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by JayH
      I can't believe you would say such a thing. Suzuki isn't into fashion statements (excluding the 80's Katanas). Yea it might seem "cool" to start the bike with a kick starter but it was also useful for:

1) Getting the bike started if the battery was weak
      2) Like Steve's problem - the starter isn't working
      3) Get some oil circulating through the engine after it has been sitting the in the garage for an extended period of time
      4) Tune ups - setting the point gap and adjusting valves
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I know you were just messing around. That is why I put the :-) on the post.

There was an article in Cycle/Motorcyclist?? when the GS1000 debuted that stated the engineers could lose ~35 lbs. by getting rid of the kickstarter and assembly.

That was intended as humor. OF COURSE a kick starter is useful to have and a Harley by any definition actually is a motorcycle. :-) However, we can certainly debate the degree of how good a motorcycle a HD is. LOL

Earl

Comment

Well, after doing some research, and looking at some pictures, Today I found a sidecover and kickstart gear off a '79 gs550. When it gets here I will those of you who are interested know if it fits or not. I don't see why it wont, but you never know. I still need the kickstart lever if anyone has one laying around.

Comment

Look forward to your definitive answer!!

Regards,

Comment

I can hardly wait for the answer!

Comment

Earl
                Wow! Up until now I didn't know Earl had a sense of humor about motorcycles!:shock: :shock: :-D

Comment

Hotblack wrote:

'I'm all for maintaining my bike to the best of my ability, there will always be unforseen failures an any mechanical device, it's a fact of life. Just ask NASA, and no one is more on top of their stuff than them."

The day before Challenger blew up, Morton Thiokol engineers told NASA to not launch because of the fuel tank leakage problem. Top managers at both NASA and Morton Thiokol ignored them.

And, worse than kick starting: Have you ever started a John Deere 2D by spinning the flywheel?

Tom
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Nope, but I used to start my MGA with the handcrank inserted through the front bumper that keyed into the crankshaft. :-) On a cold day, I would turn on the electric fuel pump, pull the engine through three, four times with the handcrank, set the choke, then switch on the ignition and one yank on the crank and she'd be running. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by themess
                    And, worse than kick starting: Have you ever started a John Deere 2D by spinning the flywheel?

Tom

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Nah, I always take bikes seriously. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by omaharj
                      Wow! Up until now I didn't know Earl had a sense of humor about motorcycles!:shock: :shock: :-D

Comment

Working...
                      X