Stuck Idle Adjuster - '77 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Idle Adjuster - '77 GS750

Hello everyone, I'm new & this is my first post.

This spring, I bought a '77 GS750 for $75, it had been sitting in a co-workers garage for the last 15 years. Well I have been slowly bringing it back to life. Just in the last week now, I have finally ridden the bike... which I'm pretty pumped about.

But to my question. I can not move my idle-adjuster on the carbs. I have a '77 GS750... I didn't notice any kind of a lock nut on it. That big plastic white knob has spun off of the metal adjuster with the force I've put on it. So now I have used a large pliers & tried to turn the idle adjuster with that... all that has happened is that now the idle adjuster is starting to bend & it hasn't turned at all yet. I obviously need to be able to adjust the idle on the bike.

I have sprayed some rust penetrator on it, since it is rusty. But that hasn't worked yet either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not very excited about finding somebody that knows how to weld, & have them weld something onto it that I can get some better leverage with. Oh, and yes the carbs are on the bike at this point.

Thanks

Try PB Blaster and heat.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yea, PB Blast is what I did try. but no, I didn't put any heat on it.
      So do you suggest a hair drier/heat gun, or my actual hand-held proprane torch?
      Thanks.

Comment

I don't think I'd use a torch with the carbs on the bike and fuel in the bowls. I'd take them off first.
        If you already buggered the knob see if you can find some used carbs on Ebay.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X