Air Cleaner Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Cleaner Box

I have a 1981 gs750, pretty reliable bike just hit 51,000 km on it..I got it a couple of years ago from a guy that treated the bike like crap...9 months of cleaning and replacing parts...and it has been running like new for the past 9 months. But in the last couple weeks I've had problem with gas fumes...when I'm stop at a light and the engine bogging down at the same time. In 3rd and up not a problem...mainly because I'm going to fast and I can't smell anything lol...Anyway my question. The hose that connects to the bottom of the air cleaner box was split and had a cut in it..I'lI will be ordering a new one but I'm very concerned with the about of gas in the box. Is this normal? I never had this problem before. I'm not a bike mechanic and the guys at my local shop will not touch the bike because of the age...The only thing I have changed in the last month is I replaced the air filter box cap with the stock metal one...the old one was plastic and broken. I think I'm getting to much gas and the mix is to rich but as I mention I'm just looking for some advice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gord

An old mod trick on these motors was to up the main jet and remove the airbox lid. Maybe this was done with your bike. Try removing the lid and see if it runs any better.
    Also change the spark plugs and check the connections on the caps.
    Do you have the stock exhaust on it?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Now that I think of it, I have a family of mice in the air filter box...so you might be right on the jets...I will give it a try. I did buy new plugs today and will be installing them first thing tomorrow. I have the original stock exhaust on the bike..I'm trying to keep the bike stock but it is very hard to get parts. I will let you know how it turns out.
      Thanks again for the quick response....

Comment

Air Clean Box problem continues

I changed the plugs, fixed the hoses on the box and the bike fired up great idled nice no smoke. I took it out on the road after 10 minutes it started stalling and loosing power in 3rd and fourth which is new. Also, I was at a light and I had a bust of black smoke out the tail pipes. When I got it home the air clean box was had alot of gas and the plugs were black big time. Now I have been reading a couple posts and I starting to think the carb's need to be cleaned or rebuilt...any thoughts

Looks like i have alot of work to do....

Comment

Originally posted by estagor View Post
          I changed the plugs, fixed the hoses on the box and the bike fired up great idled nice no smoke. I took it out on the road after 10 minutes it started stalling and loosing power in 3rd and fourth which is new. Also, I was at a light and I had a bust of black smoke out the tail pipes. When I got it home the air clean box was had alot of gas and the plugs were black big time. Now I have been reading a couple posts and I starting to think the carb's need to be cleaned or rebuilt...any thoughts

Looks like i have alot of work to do....
          Yep! clean the carbs! sounds like your air fuel mixture screws have been turned up to compensate for the bad carbs.You might want to try and adjust your screws ( each one for the highest idle) then reset your idle adjustment screw and see if this helps.Check your crankcase for gas also.It could even be a stuck or out of adjustment float.

Comment

Carb Cleaning

Reading more and more I agree with the cleaning as I'm sure it hasn't been done for a long time. In another thread someone recommended seaform to clean the carb's? Is that worth a trying before taking the Carb's appart?
            I have the original book on the bike but I have never done it before. Is it straight forward? I reviewed the disassembly portion, I'm handy with tools etc...as this bike was in terrible shape when I got it but it looks difficult. Should I just get the cleaning solution and dig right in...I'm sure it will need a carb kit as the last owner never touch that portion of the bike. Looking for words of wisdom or a clear procedure...
            Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2007, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Go to the front page of this forum and check the whats in the garage section or somewhere right there and there is a complete step by step procedure on how to take the carbs apart.I printed it out and made a book out of it.Also use your old stuff like needle valve and seat.Just get some o-rings from www.cycleorings.com and new bowl gaskets and you should be fine.

Comment

At a minimum Take the carbs apart, clean the needles & replace the O ring on the seat assembly

Comment

Working...
                X