pods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pods?

I see that a lot of people have added pods to their bikes but I'm having a hard time finding information on what exactly they are and what benefit they bring... can someone enlighten me?

laymans terms please, i'm still learning

Simplest terms, they increase airflow into your engine. They replace the stock airbox. Combined with the correct carb tuning (rejetting) and a good quality aftermarket exhaust, they can help your bike make more power.

Comment

cool, so...
      pods = more power = faster bike?
      ...but only with an aftermarket exhaust?

i guess I'm trying to figure out if its something I'd like to do to my 650, but its a stock exhaust and I dont intend on replacing that anytime soon. basically, i'm trying to see what simple mods/enhancements would be a good idea for me - any other thoughts, or must-do's?

Comment

maybe not so great

The guy I bought my GS250 from had pods in place of the original air box. I guess he didn't know anything about tuning because in order to compensate for the extra air flow he had the choke pulled a quarter of an inch out with a zip tie (some people's kids...). I'm new to all this as well but I think that perhaps for the cv carbs to respond correctly they need a more uniform air flow as given by an air box as opposed to pods.

just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by iDodgimus View Post
          cool, so...
          pods = more power = faster bike?
          ...but only with an aftermarket exhaust?

i guess I'm trying to figure out if its something I'd like to do to my 650, but its a stock exhaust and I dont intend on replacing that anytime soon. basically, i'm trying to see what simple mods/enhancements would be a good idea for me - any other thoughts, or must-do's?
          That's kind of a broad question. Do you want your bike to be faster? Handle better? Sound better? Be more comfortable? What do you like about it and what don't you like about it?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            That's kind of a broad question. Do you want your bike to be faster? Handle better? Sound better? Be more comfortable? What do you like about it and what don't you like about it?
            you're right, i was being purposely vague tho...
            I've only just gotten into bikes and my '81 GS650E is great so far, i was just wondering what kind of things people get up to when they first start tinkering with their GSs and why... y'know, get an idea of popular mods so I can start thinking about winter projects

I'd never argue with a higher top-speed, but not at the cost of lots more vibration (the bars tickle my hands sometimes already)

Comment

Have you taken the MSF Basic class yet? A lot of improvement in your bike can be found in improving your own riding ability.

Lots of parts for your bike here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...d=GS650EX-1981

Here's some easier stuff you can start out with.

Before you want to go faster, make sure you can turn and most importantly stop well.

With that in mind, you could start with a set of new tires to improve your handling and braking. The Pirelli Sport Demon is a fantastic tire that fits the GS rims - great grip wet or dry and really improve your braking and handling.

You could install some stainless braided brake lines. You'll get better stopping power and you'll never need a new set of brake lines ever again, unlike the rubber ones that should be replaced every 3-4 years.

While you're at it, you could install a new set of brake pads if you don't know when the last time they were replaced.

Your stock rear shocks are probably shot by now. You might want to install some new rear shocks. This will make your bike more stable in the corners.

You might want to have a mechanic rebuild your front shocks with some new fork oil and springs.

Now onto the go-fast stuff. You can alter your gearing for more top end speed, but at the expense of low-end torque. Or you can alter your gearing for more low end torque, but less top end speed. You can use synthetic oil (for the sake of your clutch, please use ONLY motorcycle specific synthetic oil like Mobil 1, the car stuff can make it slip) which is more slippery than dino oil and will make your engine be able to spin up faster. You can go the pods/stage 3 carb rejet/4 into 1 pipe route for up to 10-15% more horsepower and torque.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

kickass, thanks
                although I'd never say no to more top-end speed, I'd gladly say yes to better handling/stopping power.

Not sure when the brake pads were last changes, I've only owned the bike for a couple of months - I'll get on that and the lines right away. I'll start looking into the tires too.

Any clues as to where to start looking for rear shocks? Or how to tell if its time to renew? Or should I just talk to my local dealership (still not sure how much I trust mechanic shops yet)

So the pods wont make a difference for the stock pipes? If not I think I'll leave the ol'airbox on for a while.

thanks again - great info.
                D!

Comment

I’m a grump of course but I view pods as a downgrade, not upgrade. They make the bike noisy, less capable in poor weather, mess up the carburetion, and cost more than a stock filter. The only real positive in my opinion is they allow easier carburetor removal.

Pods when complimented with a 4:1 pipe and proper jetting, will result in the power curve raising; you most likely will loose low/midrange power and pick up a few HP (figure on 5 HP or less) at high rpm. Not worth it. Pods without the pipe will add maybe 2 HP if you are lucky.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

good to know - seems tires/brakes is what i should go for first then.

Comment

kickass, thanks
                      although I'd never say no to more top-end speed, I'd gladly say yes to better handling/stopping power.

Not sure when the brake pads were last changes, I've only owned the bike for a couple of months - I'll get on that and the lines right away. I'll start looking into the tires too.

Any clues as to where to start looking for rear shocks? Or how to tell if its time to renew? Or should I just talk to my local dealership (still not sure how much I trust mechanic shops yet)

So the pods wont make a difference for the stock pipes? If not I think I'll leave the ol'airbox on for a while.

thanks again - great info.
                      D!
                      Z1 sells Progressive shocks for your bike here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=521

The stock shocks weren't very good new, and if you have > 20,000 miles on the clock, they're probably due for a replacement.

If you want to learn how to tinker on your GS, get a service manual for it. You'll save money, learn a ton, and you'll know it was done right.

Pods would make a slight difference with the stock pipe, but the hassle of rejetting might not make it worthwhile since there's no rejetting kit sold for your bike for that combination.

And seriously, if you have questions about your bike, ask it on this website. I can pretty much guarantee the guys here know MUCH more about the GS's than your local dealership or mechanic.

Comment

Learn how to ride and then get an 1100. :shock: :-D\\/
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Learn how to ride and then get an 1100. :shock: :-D\\/
                          hahaaa, nice...
                          my buddy's got an 1100G from 81 and its sooooo nice... the 650's more than enough for me for now tho:-D

Comment

hahaaa, nice...
                            my buddy's got an 1100G from 81 and its sooooo nice... the 650's more than enough for me for now tho:-D
                            at least you recognize it... my brother wants to learn on my fj1100...

no thanks

Comment

Actually:
                              pods=tuning nightmare=increased intake noise=little gain in power(mostly from the aftermarket exhaust)

Comment

Working...
                              X