Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clone View Post
    Actually:
    pods=tuning nightmare=increased intake noise=little gain in power(mostly from the aftermarket exhaust)
    This is only true if the re-jet wasn't done correctly.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
      Actually:
      pods=tuning nightmare=increased intake noise=little gain in power(mostly from the aftermarket exhaust)
      Pods can offer hp gains. Only to those who FULLY understand systematic carb tuning techniques. To those who don't understand jetting, get ready for total frustration....... and pods only offer gains at the drag strip. Pods kill low end throttle response. Pods do however offer top end gains. Pods are useless on the street IMO....

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
        Pods can offer hp gains. Only to those who FULLY understand systematic carb tuning techniques. To those who don't understand jetting, get ready for total frustration....... and pods only offer gains at the drag strip. Pods kill low end throttle response. Pods do however offer top end gains. Pods are useless on the street IMO....
        How much HP from pods? I'm just guessing but I'd say maybe 2 HP on an otherwise stock 650.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally Posted by Road_Clam
          So THAT's why my 1150 takes off like a rocket when I approach to top 1/3 of the revs!!!

JM

Comment

On the street how often is your bike above 7000rpm? If its my bike, not to darn often. I spend all my time between 3000-6000rpm, with occasional blasts up to 8000to pass on the highway. With CV carbs, ths slides don't really come up until 5 grand anyway, so unless I want to keep the engine screaming, there will be little benefit from pods.
            If you have mechanical slides then you will probably get more from pods, but again if you were screaming around or racing, otherwise, a couple of HP is not worth the grief that I experienced tuning carbs or the increased intake noise.
            If you want to do them, and don't mind the tinkering to get it perfect. It's your bike after all.
            If you had a positive experience tuning with pods, =D>I congratulate you, I sure didn't](*,)

Comment

I don't know exactly how much more power pods and a pipe add.
              That's the key..."and a pipe".
              One without the other creates a flow mis-match. The power gain is significant though, if you know how to re-jet correctly.
              K&N will tell you a 10-15% HP gain can be seen with their filters. Maybe it can if you also do some other tuning (advance timing, cam timing, etc.) that works well with more flow. Without any additional tuning, I think a typical bike will picked up at least 5 to 7 HP. More on higher HP bikes.
              Regardless of what the true numbers are, I can tell you that the pod filtered bike will easily out accelerate a stock filtered bike.
              The argument isn't if the extra power is all that usable for general street riding, it's if the pod filtered bike makes more power. It does, at higher rpm.
              It's kind of strange how people easily find ways to divide themselves. Pods are not evil. Use them if you want to go a little faster, or get to the same top end a little quicker. They give you that option.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Personally, as much as anything else, I think they are a good cosmetic upgrade as well. The stock airbox is ugly (IMHO).

Comment

Working...
                X