Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper chain tension....?

Hey folks it's the Newbie again.....

I'm used to my KLR dual sport chain tensioning specs, but I understand with a road bike one does not need as much play in the chain as one hopefully is not going to experience the same topography :0)

What is the proper chain tension and how best should I measure it....?

How ofter should one lube their chain (I imagine it is more frequent if one rode in the rain)....?

Very much thanks in advance!

Street bikes are usually 3/4" to 1 1/4" of chain slack as measured in the center of the chain between the sprockets. For maximum chain and sprocket life, it's good to adjust chain tension, and clean and lube the chain every 600 miles. I check the chain tension, adjust to 1" if necessary, then use Motul Chain Clean and a rag to clean the chain, then use Maxima Chain Wax to lube it.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2007, 10:29 PM.

Comment

The chain will be at its tightest when the engine sprocket, swingarm pivot and rear axle are in a straight line. Make sure you have about 3/4" under those conditions and you will be good to go.

Note that you may have to enlist the help of a friend to sit on the bike to line up those three points while you measure, but you should only have to do it once. After you have verified proper adjustment, take another measurement with the bike on the center stand and use that as your reference.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X