Won't idle. Runs fine on choke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't idle. Runs fine on choke?

My 1980 GS 550L will start and run on idle but as soon as you reduce the choke it idles down and dies. If you try giving it throttle it tries to choke out or die until you give it enough gas to get it into the higher RPM range. Is this a carb problem? I have no carb experience at all. I'm sure I can remove them but how hard are they to clean? Help! Thanks.

Kevin

You have what sounds like either a clogged pilot fuel circuit and/or an air leak. If you search these forums there's plenty on info on how to diagnose and clean and fix both. Take your time and you'll be fine. To me, the worst thing on that model is getting the carbs off and on.

Comment

Sounds like you need to clean the carbs. Follow the procedure on the GSR homepage (your carbs are the same). http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Get a O-ring kit here. http://www.cycleorings.com/

You will also need some carb boot O-rings - need to order from the dealer.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Before you start tearing things apart ... is your idle adjusted correctly?

Could be something really simple there. Try raising the warm idle speed to see if that helps. When the choke is used, it tends to raise the idle speed, so that might be masking your problem. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Could also be battery related and connections. If not try running some Berrymans Chemtool in your gas.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have run most of a tank thru it with seafoam in the gas and it is no better. Will check the other items mentioned such as idle screw, air leak or God forbid dirty carbs! Thanks

Comment

If it is a problem that just sprung up unless you have rust in your tank chances are it may not be carb related.
              In my experience carb problems become progressively worse and not all at once.
              Did you check the petcock screen and flow?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I have not checked the petcock screen but will do so after I adjust idle speed. Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by airportcop View Post
                  I have not checked the petcock screen but will do so after I adjust idle speed. Thanks all!
                  Wondering if you had any progress on this issue. I am having the exact same
                  issue with my bike. Will only run with choke on and gas kills it. Wondering where to start. Thanks

Comment

Mine had the exact same problem after sitting for 4 years. I took it to the shop and the technician cleaned the carb and found the jets were partially clogged. After a good cleaning, it runs great and idles just fine. It cost a bottle of carb cleaner and two hours labor.

Comment

Originally posted by silverkrown View Post
                      Wondering if you had any progress on this issue. I am having the exact same
                      issue with my bike. Will only run with choke on and gas kills it. Wondering where to start. Thanks
                      idle screw then carbs
                      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Messed with the idle screw and had no luck. Decided to dive in and dip the carbs.
                        Should be done and reassembled tonight. I'll find out tommorow if it helped.

Comment

Mr. airportcop,

Does it run any better once it gets warmed up? When was the last time you checked your valve clearances? Just curious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well no luck. dipped the carbs and put it all back together and it didn't fix the problem.
                            Adjusted the idle crew and got it to start and run with the choke completely
                            off. Still have the same problem with the throttle. Any time I try to give it gas, even
                            with the choke all the way off it kills the engine. Not sure what to do.
                            Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by silverkrown View Post
                              Well no luck. dipped the carbs and put it all back together and it didn't fix the problem.
                              Adjusted the idle crew and got it to start and run with the choke completely
                              off. Still have the same problem with the throttle. Any time I try to give it gas, even
                              with the choke all the way off it kills the engine. Not sure what to do.
                              Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
                              What year and model of bike you got?

Comment

Working...
                              X