Front Brake Satey Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake Satey Switch

So I did a search on this site but I am unable to find what this is. I was looking around on the Partsandmore.com web site and found this wire that is on my bike that has been driving me crazy.

I have a wire that wraps around the throttle cable on the right hand side of the bars and come up to a oval shaped piece of plastic and ends. Not connected to anything just wrapped around and hanging there. The web parts web site says its a "Front Brake Saftey Switch" huh? Should this be connected to anything or is it just suppose to hange there. I find it diffucult to believe that it's mounted the way Suzuki intended, however I still question the battery location. lol

Any help would be great.

Sounds to me like it's your front brake light switch.

The "safety" part of that is that it is supposed to turn on your brake lights when you squeeze the front brake lever.

If it's just hanging there, it has most likely lost all its internal parts, so you will need to order a new one.

You did not specify which bike you have, but I think most of them are the same. Bike Bandit has them (item #6) for $18.26.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It goes to the front brake lever housing. It is for the brake light, when the lever is squeezed...there is a little brass piece along with a spring like thing (great explanation here :?) that makes contact and sends the signal to the brake light. Be careful when you take things apart or you'll have parts everywhere. Some have mentioned working inside a plastic bag to catch the pieces when they start flying. Good luck.

Comment

Ahh...see thats where the confusion comes from...I didn't take this apart it has been hanging there since I picked it up from the PO. I will have to check to see if the brake light works when the lever is squezed if not then I know that it is supposed to be an intergral part of the handle.

Thanks I guess that makes sense.

Comment

You might consider using a Hyd pressure switch- it would replace the banjo bolt usually at the junction block on the forks/ Only an extra $5-10
          You can install it & forget about it

Comment

Amen to that. The factory brake switch is a crappy design. Luckily, I got rid of that, and the plastic reservoir that loves to crack and crumble over time, with a modern master cylinder from a Ninja.

Shouldn't there be two wires going to that switch? Is it only a ground connect? Mine had two, I just snipped the ends off and wired them to the Ninja switch.

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
              Shouldn't there be two wires going to that switch? Is it only a ground connect? Mine had two, ...
              Both of my GSs have two wires going to the switch, too, but they have a plastic sheath over them that is heat-crimped at the switch end. That could make it look like one larger wire to the untrained eye. 8-[

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X