Pingle or stock petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingle or stock petcock?

I'm wanting to replace the stock vacuum petcock I have, its 50mm between the holes. I just want a lever, but I'm afraid that the Pingle is gonna overflow my carbs if I go that route. They've been rebuilt but still....thoughts? Am I asking for trouble?

Doesn't Pingle make a vacuum model? Not seeing it.

Some good info in this thread...

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

...but those aren't vacuum operated I'm guessing.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2012, 07:26 PM.

You have the POS 80's petcock. I understand. I got a replacement one from Georgefix off of Ebay and I haven't had to think about it again. If you're looking for reserve Pingle will help you there.
    Also you will have to remember to turn the Pingle off after each ride or you stand the chance of getting fuel in the oil.
    I carry a little screwdriver with me in case I run out of gas and a piece of 1/4 inch vacuum to activate prime manually (sucking on the vacuum line of the petcock) because even prime on these petcocks aren't really prime until you activate it with vacuum. :?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      I carry a little screwdriver with me in case I run out of gas and a piece of 1/4 inch vacuum to activate prime manually (sucking on the vacuum line of the petcock) because even prime on these petcocks aren't really prime until you activate it with vacuum. :?
      Same here. I actually tested the prime setting on mine (brand new 3 years ago from www.crc2onlinecatalog.com) and its defective.....I've killed at least 2 batteries because of my dumb a$$ and that automatic petcock.

I'm going with the pingle.

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
      Hey Thanks for all the replies. Scotty, we won't mind if they laugh to hard as long as our bikes aren't running out of gas at full throttle.

OK, I did some measuring on my spare 1980 GS550L gas tank which is lying in my garage. On this particualr petcock, the holes are 50mm apart.
      Some bikes are 44mm like yours is Scotty, which is the difference in Pingle part numbers.

I just got off the phone with Russ, the order guy at Pingle in Wisconsin who by the way is very nice and helpful. The Pingle petcock part number that our bikes use is either a 6211-AH which is the aluminum one, or the 6211-CR which is the chrome one. I chose the 6211-CR (chrome) because
      Russ told me that the chrome cock had brass internals and was more durable and would hold up better, $10 dollars more at $72.30.

Here is the deal on the adapter plates. The A1902C ($11.35) is what you need if your bolt holes are 50mm apart like mine are. The A1702C is the part number if your bolts are at 44mm c to c. So I am told by Russ.

Russ also told me that the petcocks are fully rebuildable and that Pingle likes for you to ship the petcock back to them should you need service. If they can't rebuild it, they will replace it. I'm not sure about the cost, if any on that. Russ said that I will probably have to enlarge the hole where the pipe and screen extends up into the tank and if I need to cut the pipe off and trim the screen, I can.

He shipped it out today so, I'll let you know the results when I switch the valve on, fire it up and go hold it wide open for awhile to see how well it flows.

Cheers,
      Blake

Comment

Pingel

I put on a Pingel and would never switch back. You'll get where you don't even think about turning it off and on....you'll just do it automatically.
        1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

I just picked up a Pingel (and the adapter) from Z1R for my '79 GS1000.
          I hope to install it this weekend. Sounds like a smart move to me!

Comment

It's worth it!

It's worth the money but do some searches on the forum before you install it. You can modify it in order to make your reserve go on where it will be most beneficial. Somebody explained the procedure really well back in the archived posts.
            1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

pingel petcock

So you guys are saying that you can eliminate the vacuum operation of the stock one by going with the pingel? This will be ok when running and not create to much fuel flow?

Comment

hartleygs, think of it this way. The petcock makes sufficient fuel available and the float valve controls how much of that available fuel enters the carburator.

Comment

Originally posted by hartleygs View Post
                  So you guys are saying that you can eliminate the vacuum operation of the stock one by going with the pingel? This will be ok when running and not create to much fuel flow?
                  That was what I was kinda worried about...too much fuel.

Comment

Make no mistake, when you go with a Pingel you're going to have a RIVER of gas flowing down that pipe. 5/8" diameter hose and you'll get every bit of that flowing gas, so keep up with your float valves or you will overflow. Pingel does make a vacuum operated valve and you might want to consider using that instead of the standard Power-Flo. Just be sure to order the valve with the V as the last character of the part number. e.g. 6311-CHV

Comment

Petcock

I replaced my stock petcock with a Pingle a couple of years ago now switching it off is second nature now. I had to enlarge the screen hole with a rat tail file with not much of a problem.

Comment

I replaced my stocker with a pingel. I'll never go back. Best fuel valve in the world.

Comment

There are a couple of different threads right now related to fuel flow control and the petcock. Bottom line (my opinion) is that the float needles control how much fuel is in the float bowls. If the float needles are worn and leaking slightly the float level will be high and maybe even spill over into the engine and/or leak on the ground. If your carbs have a leaking needle or two a vacuum petcock is good for those people that can't remember to turn off the gas off (like me).
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Pingle makes three different vaccum fuel valves

Comment

Originally posted by N56629 View Post
                              Pingle makes three different vaccum fuel valves
                              The 1000 series looks promising....I wonder if it will fit the A1902C (50 mm) adapter plate?

(edit)

...nope. The vacume ones need the male plate and they don't have a 50mm male.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2007, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X