Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging troubleshooting

1984 GS550ES Good battery

I just replaced the OEM Regulator/Rectifier with a new one about two months ago. I went to start my bike today and the battery was flat. I charged the battery and the bike started right up. I checked the voltage at the battery and am only getting 12 volts between 1000 and 5000 rpm. Where would you start your troubleshooting process and how would you progress.

Thanks much, Gizmo

See the Stator Papers
    This has anything and everything you need to know about your charging system and how to diagnose problems.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Cheff1366 will do :-)

Comment

Assuming you have a good/newer battery and clean connections. There are only two components in the charging system, the stator and the R/R.
        Keeping it simple.................. Unplug the three yellow stator wires from the R/R. With the bike running at 5k rpm check the AC AC voltage between each of the three stator legs (yellow wires) on the stator. Check voltage between wire 1,2 then wires 1,3 then wires 2,3. You should see 80 volts AC if the stator output is correct. If the stator is good, the only thing left is the R/R for the fault. Next, reconnect the stator yellow wires to the R/R as they were. Run the bike at 5k rpm and check DC voltage on the R/R red + and black - DC output wires with the wires connected to the battery terminals as they normally are. You should see about 14 volts at that rpm.
        Basically, if you have a good battery, your connections are clean, and the stator is producing 80 volts on each leg at 5k rpm, the R/R is faulty.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

YOU DA MAN!!! Thanks Earl :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Kenny View Post
            YOU DA MAN!!! Thanks Earl :-)
            Your stator is toast.i just went thru this myself.It cost me 113bucks from dennis kirk and was shipped to me in 2 days with no shipping charges.

Comment

Well, no, you would not know that without checking stator output. You can have a good stator and still get nothing to the battery because of a fried R/R or bad connections.

Earl

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
              Your stator is toast.i just went thru this myself.It cost me 113bucks from dennis kirk and was shipped to me in 2 days with no shipping charges.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

According to the stator papers,I've got a bad positive wire(red from pos battery to R/R.) Wire is approx 16 inches long. Can't find where it's bad. I'm waiting on a R/R from Duaneage and will start replacing parts until I figure it out. I had asked for help and the only response was I need to understand Ohm's Law if I want to fix my charging system.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  Well, no, you would not know that without checking stator output. You can have a good stator and still get nothing to the battery because of a fried R/R or bad connections.

Earl
                  Sorry, I meant his r/r is probably fried.sometimes I type before I think! He still need to do the stator papers check list.

Comment

Working...
                  X