Ok I have my plug color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I have my plug color

This is in response to my previous posts, i pulled my plugs and labled them one through 4. I can email you the pics if you want to see them but you will have to tell me. All of them seem to be in the same condition ((Note these plugs were brand new out of the box and have been ridin on for 4 days approximately 108 miles)) I looked at them and they all seem to have a little bit of dark blackness around the top ring thread area and the metal flap the come over the electrode is a grayish color. I dont know if you can tell anything from this but again i have the pics i can send to give a better idea just reply to this telling me you want it sent and give me your email address becuase i dont know anyother way of posting the pic on here for everyone to see. Thanks guys.

they sound fine. A tan or rust is suposed to be perfect but that color usually meansa top eficiency if I remember correctly. Some will say its a tad lean but as long as the porcelan is not white, i would guess the 4 cylinders are running quite properly.

Comment

On the top ring thingy, is the dark black a wet looking black or is it a dry powder looking black? :twisted:

Comment

dry black

Comment

They sound pretty good, really, the dry black on the outer ring part is most likely from when the engine was idling. It is probably very slightly rich at idle, but I wouldnt try adjusting it. trying to lean it out enough to change that would probably cause it to run too lean. Ride on worryless..... :twisted:

Comment

There was a thread about spark plug colors that had a couple of good links to explain the color and spark plug operation. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=6889 the last link has a good photo gallery of the plugs so you can compare yours and see if there is one like it and it will tell you how it is running ie. rich or lean etc.

Comment

Sorry it's not the last link that has the best picture gallery it is this one http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

Comment

So what explains the backfiring , i am confused and the porcelin is still white (comenting on slopokes reply) does backfiring mean that the bikes is still running good , I mean the bike is an 81 gs 1100 and only has 8000 miles on it so i am sure the engine is in tip top shape but the backfiring still has me concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by govprop2000
                  So what explains the backfiring , i am confused and the porcelin is still white (comenting on slopokes reply) does backfiring mean that the bikes is still running good , I mean the bike is an 81 gs 1100 and only has 8000 miles on it so i am sure the engine is in tip top shape but the backfiring still has me concerned.
                  The procelan is where you take the plug reading at. If it is white you are running too lean and should raise your mid range needles one notch or get some tiny washers to use if your carbs dont have any notches on the needles.

Comment

slopoke i am not sure what you mean by the midrange needles are you talking about the air mixture screws or the needles inside the carbs were the floats are. Those are the only two types of needles i have seen on the bike other than the choke needles

Comment

Originally posted by govprop2000
                      slopoke i am not sure what you mean by the midrange needles are you talking about the air mixture screws or the needles inside the carbs were the floats are. Those are the only two types of needles i have seen on the bike other than the choke needles
                      well on a cv carb if thats what you have. the top section screws off and the slide and needle assembly can be removed from the top. this is not the float needle nor the adjustment screws. I dont even remember what bike you have at this point. I am talking about they type of carbs I have on my gs1100e 1983. If you once again state the year and model of your bike you may have to be given instruction by someone who has experience with difrently designed carbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X