Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to modify a gas tank without blowing up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
    Can't you just pull off the backside of the petcock (the four screws) and rotate so the vacuum nipple is pointing differently? I don't think there's any reason it can't be oriented in any of the four possible positions...
    Wow. That was so easy I feel dumb now That worked perfectly. I nearly lost the spring when it popped out, but I now have a tank that fits perfectly, and a vacuum-operated petcock. Thanks t3rmin.

So I put my tank on and drove the bike home (it's been in my friend's garage for weeks) and when I got off the highway and stopped at the traffic light and put my feet down on the ground, I almost slipped and fell... my left shoe was completely coated in oil! Oh well, another day another engine problem

Comment

Originally posted by 79-GS550-L View Post
      Wow. That was so easy I feel dumb now That worked perfectly. I nearly lost the spring when it popped out, but I now have a tank that fits perfectly, and a vacuum-operated petcock. Thanks t3rmin.

So I put my tank on and drove the bike home (it's been in my friend's garage for weeks) and when I got off the highway and stopped at the traffic light and put my feet down on the ground, I almost slipped and fell... my left shoe was completely coated in oil! Oh well, another day another engine problem
      Glad it worked!

Hope that wasn't your RealGasket leaking! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
        Can't you just pull off the backside of the petcock (the four screws) and rotate so the vacuum nipple is pointing differently? I don't think there's any reason it can't be oriented in any of the four possible positions...
        You can also re direct the fuel outlet too. It press fits into the body.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
          You can also re direct the fuel outlet too. It press fits into the body.
          Good to know. Mine was good where it was, so I didn't look at it.

No, it was not the realgasket leaking... it seems to be coming from where the cylinder block joins the crankcase right at the top of the stator cover. When I unscrewed the cover screws and tried to pull it off, a bunch of oil came drizzling out. There's not supposed to be oil around the stator, right? Anyways, I can't seem to get the cover completely off, I got the top right loose (where the starter is) but the left side seems firmly stuck. This is starting to sound like another gasket-scraping job...

Comment

Actually the stators swim in oil on these bikes. Best to lean it against the wall enough for the blood to flow to the right side of the engine.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
              Actually the stators swim in oil on these bikes. Best to lean it against the wall enough for the blood to flow to the right side of the engine.
              Figured out my problem. The gasket had a big gap (about 3mm) in the top. I guess since it was at the top I didn't notice anything at first, until I got up to speed or went down a hill or something, then a bunch came pouring out. So I cut a new gasket for it, but I need to disconnect the stator wires to pass them though the gasket (there's a small area where they need to pass through but it's too small for the stator itself). Can anybody explain how the wires are routed? I see them disappear under the starter motor cover, I took off one screw but still can't get the cover off. Where do they go from there? I'm tempted to cut & resolder them, although I know that's a poor solution...

Comment

Originally posted by 79-GS550-L View Post
                Figured out my problem. The gasket had a big gap (about 3mm) in the top. I guess since it was at the top I didn't notice anything at first, until I got up to speed or went down a hill or something, then a bunch came pouring out. So I cut a new gasket for it, but I need to disconnect the stator wires to pass them though the gasket (there's a small area where they need to pass through but it's too small for the stator itself). Can anybody explain how the wires are routed? I see them disappear under the starter motor cover, I took off one screw but still can't get the cover off. Where do they go from there? I'm tempted to cut & resolder them, although I know that's a poor solution...
                If I were you I'd cut the gasket, then use some RTV to shore it up. Much easier. I always end up RTV'ing the stator cover anyway.

Comment

do you put rtv over the whole gasket? on both sides? I've never actually put that stuff on a gasket before, just made standalone gaskets out of it. That's a good idea, though, cutting and repairing the gasket with it. Saves me a lot of time

Comment

Actually I just use RTV as the gasket. Smear it lightly on both sides, then bolt it up. Hasn't leaked yet. But I'm sure you could just cut the gasket you made, then "repair" it with RTV and bolt it up. Maybe best to cut the outside part, since the oil should be contained in the inside - the outside loop is just "extra".

Comment

Wow. Again, you're one step ahead of me I was going to cut the inside one. But the outer loop makes much more sense! Ok I'm going to go do that now.

Comment

After 2000 posts I finally got something right! ;-)

Comment

oil leak - fixed!!! At least, it did not leak during my quick around-the-block.

and I just got my new realgasket in the mail... so I guess I'm installing that tonight.

Comment

Just in time for the weather to change! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                            X