Balancing carbs...but wait...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balancing carbs...but wait...?

I am to that point. I need to balance out the carbs but my mercury balancing tool came with absolutely no instructions. Is there anyone out here that could provide a link to set them up or possibly give me some detail on how to do it. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Would it be better if I posted a picture of it?

Comment

Sorry, but what kind of bike is it? The principal is the same but different carbs have different adjustment methods.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
        Sorry, but what kind of bike is it? The principal is the same but different carbs have different adjustment methods.
        Its not the doing it thats the problem is that the tool is not set up and I am unsure how to set it up. I don't want to mess around with mercury if I don't know exactly what I am doing.

Comment

Photo's wouldn't hurt.

I have a Motion Pro economy mercury sync tool and the mercury reservoir has a rubber cover on top. You just pull back the rubber and pour the mercury in there. Push the rubber back in place to seal it up. The only other thing to know is to put the plastic white restricter plugs into the clear tubing before you put the tubing on the end of the mercury tubes.

Hope this helps.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Photo's wouldn't hurt.

I have a Motion Pro economy mercury sync tool and the mercury reservoir has a rubber cover on top. You just pull back the rubber and pour the mercury in there. Push the rubber back in place to seal it up. The only other thing to know is to put the plastic white restricter plugs into the clear tubing before you put the tubing on the end of the mercury tubes.

Hope this helps.
            Thats the one...Thanks man!

Comment

I also have a motion pro. Cut your tubing to equal lengths and attach to plastic tubes. Add mercury as Nessism states and don't forget little plastic restricters that go in hoses. One note of caution, the mercury will sometimes stick to top of cap and when you open bottle to fill reservoir, will fall out all over place. I would recommend setting up tubes vertically in a secure manner (vise) and then filling reservoir using both hands. Preferably away from kids and out of doors.
              The unit is then ready to use, the mercury is self adjusting. Just remember to go easy on the throttle when attached to tool, you don't want to suck Hg into motor. It obviously will be pulled into motor on high vacuum; closing throttles valves quickly from higher rpms. A large window fan or two to help keep motor cool while synchronizing is also needed.
              When finished with tool, you will need to hang up to prevent mercury loss. I haven't figured an easy way to drain Hg out into another container.

Comment

Normal to have to choke your bike when you are balancing or no? :?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy_Oliver880 View Post
                  Normal to have to choke your bike when you are balancing or no? :?
                  No, the motor should be warmed up to normal operating temp. Not sure on your bike, my 1100 calls for an engine rpm of 1750 and #2 and #3 should be even with each other but slightly lower than #1 and #4. Also, #1 and #4 should be even with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by walt View Post
                    No, the motor should be warmed up to normal operating temp. Not sure on your bike, my 1100 calls for an engine rpm of 1750 and #2 and #3 should be even with each other but slightly lower than #1 and #4. Also, #1 and #4 should be even with each other.

After warm up it still seemed to want the choke...I am going to see whats up...it might not be getting enough fuel.

Comment

Do you normally have the choke on when riding? The bike should be just as warm, and should not need the choke. If you need choke to keep the bike running, fix that problem before attempting to sync the carbs.

While doing the carb sync, you will need to provide gas to the carbs, as you will most likely run them dry in the time it takes to do a full adjustment. If you are not doing that, you can usually buy a few more seconds of run time by using the choke, but that will affect your vacuum readings, so don't do it. Better to just use an auxiliary tank of some sort or use longer tubing that will reach to your tank on a nearby bench.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Do you normally have the choke on when riding? The bike should be just as warm, and should not need the choke. If you need choke to keep the bike running, fix that problem before attempting to sync the carbs.

While doing the carb sync, you will need to provide gas to the carbs, as you will most likely run them dry in the time it takes to do a full adjustment. If you are not doing that, you can usually buy a few more seconds of run time by using the choke, but that will affect your vacuum readings, so don't do it. Better to just use an auxiliary tank of some sort or use longer tubing that will reach to your tank on a nearby bench.
                        Fuel and choke problems are fixed. I got the two outside carbs balanced but couldn't seem to get the two inside ones to balance out. I am a bit confused on how to set the air/fuel mixture screws......

Comment

Working...
                        X