charging problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging problems?

Just replaced my '83 GS1100G stator at $107 because I had readings of 8v,9v,and 14v off the 3 stator wire pairings. Got new one installed and now get even 56v on all 3 pairings(even though stator papers say at least 60v) at 4k rpm. Connect stator wires and rev but still only 12.5v at battery posts and headlight dims some when revving engine- doesn't do this with 3 yellow stator wires disconnected. Before I replace the R/R at $90 I tried following the stator papers for testing but can't follow what they're saying on which wires to test. I disconnect the 5 wire connector from the R/R and mine has black/red stripe, black/white stripe, 3 solid black?? Any thoughts?
    thanks

It has to be your r/r if you are getting >60 volts AV from your stator, so just replace it. Even sometimes they will meter out fine, but be faulty.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Click here
      This guy has helped alot of people here for a good price.:-D
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just guessing here, as I have never heard of that color combination.

The black/red would be positive output,
        black/white negative output,
        3 solid black, AC inputs from stator.

Yes, there are a total of 12 measurements necessary to check the rectifier part of the device. If any one of them is wrong, the whole r/r is toast. However, even if all 12 are good, the regulator might be bad. Again, the r/r is toast. Replace it, but you don't have to spend $90 to do it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X