Steering Head (or Tube) diameter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Head (or Tube) diameter question

Is the diameter of the steering head different between older vs newer and or small vs larger GS frames ?

Curious about swapping in slightly larger bike front end into my little GS300L so that I can have disc brakes ?

The GS300L has 32mm or 33mm forks and drum front and rear brakes.

The bearings (loose) and triple seem to resemble the GS400 (if I am recalling correctly from a little research a few weeks ago).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
    Mike

Can anyone help on this one ?

Comment

Not sure if this helps but here's a steering head bearing cross reference. From this, you at least know what the ID of the steering head is and what the OD of the steering stem is so you can get the correct bearings to do the swap provided the stems are the same length, which they have a good chance of being. For example, the steering stem on my GS1000 stock front end was the same length as the 2004 GSXR 1000 steering stem that I installed. Very surprising. Suzuki seems to never change something unless it's necessary.

An interesting, romantic and at the same time very dangerous profession attracts not only men, but also women

Failing that, you could also get a machine shop to make you a stem in the right dimensions.

Comment

Thanks .. I will give that a look.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X