Clutch cable help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable help

I am on my second clutch cable in 6 months. I bought a new lever the last time. Is there a better cable or way to keep it from breaking. The last one broke about 100miles away from home.

Re: Clutch cable help

Originally posted by Benny R
    I am on my second clutch cable in 6 months. I bought a new lever the last time. Is there a better cable or way to keep it from breaking. The last one broke about 100miles away from home.
    Grease it regularly.I pop the top end off the lever every couple of months and put some chain oil in it. Make sure the routing has few bends
    mine is out in the open to make for less bending/

Comment

They keep popping off at the little stud at the end of the cable in the lever. If that helps any.

Comment

I replaced the clutch cable on my GK in July, 2001, when it had about 46,000 miles on it. 20 months and almost 19,000 miles later, the cable checks out good and sound. The action is just fine, and there are no snags. I lubed it, but not with chain oil, since I have no idea what that is!

I believe one key to clutch cable longevity is the rubber cover that goes over the cable end and the knurled lock screw. This little piece protects the cable end from dirt. So, if you don't have this little piece, get yourself one.

Scotty's advice on routing the cable is also important. Keep it in mind.

Comment

Nick, are you talking about your shaft again???!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

You have the world's dirtiest mind, Tim Hunter!

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Benny R
              They keep popping off at the little stud at the end of the cable in the lever. If that helps any.
              Another suggestion. Check for burrs in the adjuster at the lever and perch(mount). Also, I postion the slot in the adjuster and lock nut where the cable is bearing on the solid portion of the adjuster away from the slot. Lastly, greeze all the various components. Are you by chance running after market heavy duty clutch springs(ie. Barnet)?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                You have the world's dirtiest mind, Tim Hunter!

Nick

Now Now...!! I was referring to your 'chainless' motorcycle....!! :twisted:

Comment

Are you using genuine suzuki parts, what kind of clutch springs are you using? On my GS850 it has a plastic? coller on the metal end that goes into the lever

Comment

Working...
                  X