drive train problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drive train problem

The bike has been running great and after 43,000 miles I have a problem with the drive train. When the bike is in gear there is a hard "paddling sound" coming from the gear box, the bike can't be ridden. Before I start taking things apart does anyone know what I should be looking for? 82 GS650G

Not sure what you are trying to describe as a "paddling sound", but you might want to take a look at the u-joint. If it's loose, it will wobble around and might sound that way. You should be able to feel it through the rubber boot. Put the bike on the centerstand, squeeze on the boot over the u-joint, rotate the rear tire to feel the u-joint turn.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

pull back the boot from the drive shaft yoke at the rear of the engine. put the bike in gear and see of you can turn the shaft.

if you can turn the shaft odds are you broke the output shaft, while not commom it sometimes happens.

if you can not turn the flange but the transmission back in neutral and rotate the shaft and see what you can feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Not sure what you are trying to describe as a "paddling sound", but you might want to take a look at the u-joint. If it's loose, it will wobble around and might sound that way. You should be able to feel it through the rubber boot. Put the bike on the centerstand, squeeze on the boot over the u-joint, rotate the rear tire to feel the u-joint turn.

Sorry for being so dramatic on my post! The paddling sound must be gears trying to mesh or something. Could this be a clutch problem? I have adjusted my clutch cable and started bike on and off the centerstand. When the bike is in gear on the center stand the drive wheel spins with the clutch engaged. Then I get the paddling sound and turn "er" off.No spinning in neutral. When off the center stand and in gear with the clutch engaged I have resistance. All my gears are working and I have neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
          pull back the boot from the drive shaft yoke at the rear of the engine. put the bike in gear and see of you can turn the shaft.

if you can turn the shaft odds are you broke the output shaft, while not commom it sometimes happens.

if you can not turn the flange but the transmission back in neutral and rotate the shaft and see what you can feel.
          quote]Sorry for being so dramatic on my post! The paddling sound must be gears trying to mesh or something. Could this be a clutch problem? I have adjusted my clutch cable and started bike on and off the centerstand. When the bike is in gear on the center stand the drive wheel spins with the clutch engaged. Then I get the paddling sound and turn "er" off.No spinning in neutral. When off the center stand and in gear with the clutch engaged I have resistance. Like when I push the bike in gear I feel drag. Can't say I ever tried pushing a 450 pound piece of metal with the clutch engaged. All my gears are working and I have neutral.

Comment

If I'm understanding the problem, the most likely explanation is that the spline coupler in the rear wheel is stripped. This pretty much happens eventually in almost every shaftie. Problems with the u-joint or output shaft are very rare.

You can get a new coupler for about $100 from your favorite Suzuki parts source, or haunt eBay for a rear wheel from any GS shaftie (GS650G/GL, GS850G/GL, GS1000G/GL, GS1100G/GL).

Part #64680-45113
            JOINT, HUB DRIVEN

The coupler from an earlier model 1979-1980 GS850 or GS1000 is made from a harder metal, and will last longer, so you may want to look for one of the early model rear wheels with the coupler on eBay. The early model couple is a flat black metal, and the later model coupler is a shiny silvery-gold color.

To diagnose this problem, pull the rear wheel and look carefully at the splines in the rear wheel.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X