83'GS1100 engine seized help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Never heard of a roller bearing crank, locking an engine. they may twist, or a bearing may get noisy, but probably not lock the engine. Maybe a cam chain broke & lodged itself around the cam sprocket on the crank. Never saw a locked up 1100 E engine, but there's a lot of other things I haven't seen either. Very interesting, Keep us posted.

I have a GS850 engine with a seized crank under my workbench if you'd like to see a roller bearing crank locked tight. #-o

The #4 rod bearing is locked solid. To be fair, it made steadily increasing amounts of mysterious noise for 15,000 miles first. And the poor thing did manage to get me within 5 miles of home at the end of a 700 mile day.

I suspect the problem came from the PO's slovenly and liberal habits with silicone sealer, but I may never know for sure.

Best wishes with the 1100 engine -- it definitely needs to come apart. The problem should become apparent with the head and cylinder off.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Sorry bwringer, I wasn't saying it had never happened, just that it is very unusual. Did you mean that engine had 15000 mi, or it had been making noises for 15000 mi.???Glad to hear yours almost got home anyway.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Update...

Finally got the time to dismantle the top of the engine... big surprise #1 piston bottom portion was missing along with both cylinder skirts, all the metal chips and parts went in the crankcase and blow a hole in it, crank is seized solid.

Before going further I suggested to my friend to look for another engine or whole bike will be lot less money then fix this one if it's possible, still need to split the crankcase.

I think it's the death of another noble motorcycle. Will be parting it out soon, will let you guys know.

Comment

I hope someone has the answer to, What could have caused this kind of damage, between the time he turned it off one night, until he tried to start it the next morning? I hear it gets pretty cold in Canada. Rekon the piston froze & busted???
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I hope someone has the answer to, What could have caused this kind of damage, between the time he turned it off one night, until he tried to start it the next morning? I hear it gets pretty cold in Canada. Rekon the piston froze & busted???
            Most likely heat stress failure, running too lean for too long, leading to metal fatigue and piston failure.

Dink

Comment

Shows what I know then......

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
              X