Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying To Learn,please Help

82 1100g
    1.would like to have an 18 inch front wheel instead of 19,suggestions ?
    2.my tank is smooth on both sides, there is a tank that is scalloped on each side near the seat will that fit my bike ?
    3. i would love to use a tank,seat,rear fender, front fender from a 1100E approx. 1983 model does anyone know about this possibility ? I am able to cut/weld/modify as i have with cars for 30 yrs.
    4. would like the rear of the bike to be 1 to 2 inchs lower than it is, ideas ?
    5. what would be the largest tire to fit the shaft drive swingarm ?
    6.are there handle bar risers for this triple tree ?

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE HELP,have owned alot of bikes when younger but have never modified one. already have all of the electrical/paint of frame/engine and drive/brakes,etc. rebuilt-refurbished. Now the appearance.
    thanks, Mike

Originally posted by ms7873 View Post
    1.would like to have an 18 inch front wheel instead of 19,suggestions ?
    Suggestion: keep the 19. What advantage would there be in having the 18? You might be able to fit a wider tire, but that's not what your bike was designed for. You would also have to find the correct speedo drive gear, as your speedo would read even faster than it does now.

2.my tank is smooth on both sides, there is a tank that is scalloped on each side near the seat will that fit my bike ?
    You mentioned that you have welding skills. That might be your best option.

3. i would love to use a tank,seat,rear fender, front fender from a 1100E approx. 1983 model does anyone know about this possibility ? I am able to cut/weld/modify as i have with cars for 30 yrs.
    Sorry, I don't know what the differences are, so can't help with this one.

4. would like the rear of the bike to be 1 to 2 inchs lower than it is, ideas ?
    Are you trying to lower the bike for a look or because you have shorter legs? Either way, you may not want to do it, especially the 2-inch drop. Shaft-drive bikes are a little more particular in the driveline alignment than chain-drive bikes. The shaft is set up so that when the bike is on the road, the angle of the shaft is basically straight. By lowering the rear, you will force the shaft to always run with an angle, which will accellerate u-joint wear.

5. what would be the largest tire to fit the shaft drive swingarm ?
    You mentioned the front wheel was a 19-incher. Do you have the L model? That would make your rear tire a 130/90-16. You can probably fit a 140 in there, but it will actually have a smaller contact patch than the 130. The 140 is made to go on a wider rim, and by pinching the beads closer together to fit your rim, it changes the profile of the tire by tightening the curve, which reduces the contact area. Probably not what you were trying to achieve.

You might be able to find some risers or set-backs, but you can also get many different bends in the handlebars, themselves. Either choice will work.

Hope some of this helps.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. ms7873,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that "good standing" implies pictures.

I can only offer you general recommendations for some of your modifications. But there are quite a few members who've done extensive mods to their bikes.

The "L" models use 16" rear wheels. The "regular" G models use 17" wheels. They are interchangeable. Also, if your rear shocks are, for example, 13" stock you could try replacing them with 12" shocks with similar mounts (eye or clevis). I concur with Mr. Steve about the front wheel. You could probably find an 18" replacement but that would create other issues (speedo, rotors, etc).

From everything I've read in this forum, I would think that many parts from the '83 would be direct bolt-on replacements and others could be made to fit with your skills. And there are countless 7/8" bars to fit your bike. You'll have fun shopping around.

Thanks for joining us. We'd love to see some pictures when you get a chance.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

I have some from GenMar on my 850:

I got the ones that are 1" up and 1" back.

Comment

emjay, thanks alot really

Comment

Basscliff, i appreciate the help. thanks
            mike

Comment

Steve, thanks for taking your to help,i appreciate it
              mike

Comment

Working...
              X