Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the fuel filter and Winterizing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the fuel filter and Winterizing...

Hi folks is the fuel filter in the fuel tank (ie: a small mesh screen over the supply tubes) or in the supply line?

Also unforntunately it's that time of year again and I need to winterize my bike for the first time.

How does one run the fuel out of the carbs etc if the petcock does not have a shut off position? Mine only has, on, reserve and pri.

Also do I remove that little screw at the bottom of the carb "bowl" to drain the last of the fuel out....?

I've run fuel stabilizer through the system already.

Thanks for helpin out the new bee!!

Hi Scharfg and welcome to The GS Resources!

The screen in the tank is more to keep "big chunks" out of the carbs than to filter really, afaik. I don't think any of these bikes came stock with an inline filter although many people run one.

To run most of the gas out of the carbs you could remove the vacuum line at the petcock and plug the end of the hose with something like a golf tee and then idle the bike until it dies out. Then you would open the screw on the very bottom of each bowl to remove the last of the gas.

I'm sure someone will have better ideas or a thread to point you to (there must be several?) but I hope this helped. I've never actually had to winterize my bike!

-/\/\ac

Comment

If you have already run fuel stabilizer through the system, there is no real need to drain anything.

In past years, I have used Sta-Bil, but have started using SeaFoam for my winterization. I have never bothered to drain the system and have never had any problem restarting for the next season. This includes motorcycles (4), lawn mower (1), weed whacker (1), chain saw (1) and snow blower (1).

Also, once it's winterized, just keep an automatic battery charger/maintainer on it and DON'T START THE BIKE until you are ready to take it for a ride. Starting it and not getting it up to full operating temperature causes a lot of condensation in the engine and exhaust systems. This will cause the mufflers to rust from the inside out. Yes, I know it's comforring to hear the old girl run every now and then, but, for the sake of your bike, resist the urge.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hibernation

Hi Mr. schafrg,

If I may, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Welcome to the GSR Forums, there's lots of good folks with lots of good expertise and experience to share. Living where I do, I ride all year so all I can do is point you towards some information. I hope you don't mind.

Here's an entry from the old Q&A section:

DATE: June 29, 1999
        QUESTION: Storage questions - 1981 GS750E
        I have to store my bike outside this summer. Any suggestions on keeping it from getting trashed? I keep it covered w/a tarp when I'm not riding it. I'm planning on storing it inside during the winter, although it probably won't be heated. Any suggestions on that will also be appreciated. Thanks for all the advice, and this site has tons of great tips and info. Keep up the good work--we appreciate it!
        RIDER: Kris Rugland
        REPLY: Frank Perreault
        Keeping the sun off of the bike will go a long way to making things like the seat, rubber and plastic pieces last a lot longer.
        As for prepping a bike for storage the typical steps are usually change the oil and filter, drain all the gas out, clean and lube anything you can get you hands on, remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger and lift the bike so it isn't sitting on the tires. It's also a good time to replace tires if they need it.

There ya go. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X