Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the smell of gasoline

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1980 GS1000G and I'm slowly working toward cleaning it up and making sure everything is cool before I ride it due to the age and the fact it was sitting for a while before I bought it.

One thing that concerns me is that when I turn the petcock from reserve to primary, gasoline starts dripping out of the bike. Hmmmm.

I traced it to the airbox, the air filter was soaked with gas. I assume the gas is coming out of the carbs and into the airbox? This isn't normal, right?

When I turn the petcock back to reserve, gas stops dripping.

Any ideas anyone? I'm new to bikes so be kind if the answer is obvious...

Thanks

Ben,

The "prime" position is meant to fill the carbs. The petcock is normally (in "on" or "reserve" position) opened by a vacuum produced by the running engine.
    Setting the petcock into "prime" position will eventually result in an overflow of the carbs, leaking the fuel into the airbox, the overflow pipes of the carbs or worse: into the engine.

Comment

THANK YOU

This makes a lot of sense and I feel pretty ignorant just now.

Thanks for your help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by benbottles
        THANK YOU

This makes a lot of sense and I feel pretty ignorant just now.

Thanks for your help!!!
        No need for that Ben!

I've told the story once before on this forum:

My first bike was a GT380, back in 1978 (I must be getting old... :? ).
        It only had a kick starter. The first time I tried to start it, I couldn't get the engine running. Tried four times, until another biker helped me out: I had the engine kill switch set in the "off" position....

Comment

If the floats in the carbs worked correctly, then you should not have a problem if you leave it in the prime position. Your floats are not seating correctly and letting gas continue to flow after the bowls are full.

You should not leave it in the prime position as jojo stated above. Prime is just to fill the bowls if they are empty, maybe after running out of gas, or whatever reason.

Terry

Comment

jojo didn't say to leave it in the prime position.....

But thanks, I'll check the floats IF the bike doesn't run proper, otherwise the UNIX logic goes into effect, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
              If the floats in the carbs worked correctly, then you should not have a problem if you leave it in the prime position. Your floats are not seating correctly and letting gas continue to flow after the bowls are full.

You should not leave it in the prime position as jojo stated above. Prime is just to fill the bowls if they are empty, maybe after running out of gas, or whatever reason.

Terry
              that isnt always the case terry
              we have old bikes and very slight wear is usually there. when I leave my pingel on overnight sometimes nothing and other times gas leaks and i get ruined oil.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
                That's correct Terry. My GS850 doesn't have this problem, but the GS550 has.
                Like Scotty mentioned, our bikes are old, and not everything works as it should. And the GS1000 I owned (I bought it new) had the same problem after two years...
                I agree, in theory one could leave the petcock in "prime" position, but I would not recommend it! 8O

Comment

Working...
                X