Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 Gs 400

HI GS FORUM,

I am working on a GS project for a lady that came into our shop. She says her husband bought the bike new in late 1977, and they put about 3300 miles on it, then life took over and he cast it into the barn and their it sat. QUESTION is, this bike has a set of KEI-HIN CVM carbs on it. Everything lines up, and fits into the boots, even the the throttle cables. I thought the GS's had the Mikuni carbs on them. Does anyone have any 77-78 GS400s they could photo the carbs and the engine for me? Has anyone heard of KEI-HIN carbs on a GS? Suggestions would be great. The bike does start and run, on one cylinder right now, new points have been ordered.

Looks like they came with the CV Mikuni carbs...take a look

Comment

Yeah, i have looked at bike bandit, Junk yards, and the suzukicycles.org. I can't figure out what the H*ll the carbs that are on the bike came from!, or if they will even work!

Comment

My guess is that they may be off of a Honda, I've got a 500GL and with the way that intakes are formed, I could see how they might work. Are the carbs seperate or joined?

Comment

THey are joined with a combined choke, and fuel and vacume tubes. i will take some photos, and post them so you all can see the carbs. If we can figure out what bike they actually belong on, we will then try to sell them! I am on the hunt for a set of GOOD gs400 carbs, and think i have found a couple sets to choose from. long live ebay!!!

Comment

For what it's worth, here are a few pics of a bone-stock '77 GS400 that show the carbs. I bought it new so I know it's original. They are Mikuni BS34 CV carbs.

edit - Here's a better one http://home.sprintmail.com/~pmusser/...s400carbs2.jpg
            Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2007, 12:28 AM.

Comment

My first bike was a red 1978 GS400 just like that one! Just not nearly as nice...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                My first bike was a red 1978 GS400 just like that one! Just not nearly as nice...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
                Back in high school the guy that got me interested in motorcycling had a silver GS400. It was a superior bike to the Honda 360 I wound up buying.

That 400 in the photos looks great! I'm a sucker for quality, and that bike is top shelf for sure! \\/
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Do they look anything like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    Do they look anything like this?

Them's Honda carbs, right? They look like they're from a CM400 (or any of the Honda 400-450 twins).

You could probably make them work on a GS400 if everything lines up, but it would take some rejetting and finagling. I used to have a GS400, and my wife used to have a Honda CM400. The GS made a LOT more power.

The Honda carbs are a bit more complex, too -- they have an accelerator pump and air valves.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

[quote=bwringer;697462]Them's Honda carbs, right? They look like they're from a CM400 (or any of the Honda 400-450 twins).
                      quote]

That'd be correct Brian...GL 500 to be exact. When he mentioned that they were the KEI-HIN carbs, the first thing I thought of were these. I doo like the pump in them, there is no lag time on a sudden wrist wrap!

Comment

Working...
                      X