Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frontend question 81 750e

So I just bought this for my 81 750.

I saw other forks on e-bay but these ones had the brake calipers/master cylinder included (ect. all that you see in the pic). I don't know if this was a good buy or not, in fact I don't even know if they will fit on my bike. It was kind of an impulse buy- the guy was selling both rear and front wheels for a good price ($175 + shipping including sprockets and rotors)- almost jumped on those too... but since this is a winter project I decided to buy one thing at a time so I won't feel it in the bank as much.

I did a little research on the forum and found that might have some clearance problems. I also will have to eventually buy a swing arm so I can match the rear and front wheel (something to do with tire traction).

How much modifying am I looking at to get these on my bike? What wheels will fit on this (other that what is intended for it)?

Also this winter I plan to get a 4 into 1 exhaust and pods- but if I don't will these work (clearance wise) with my stock exhaust?

Finally (for now), what swing arm can I use, that will fit on my bike (I have a welder but not really interested in a mono-shock conversion) that will fit the latter generation wheels (whatever matches the front)?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I think that they are all relevant.

Thanks a million again...and again....

I did a little research and it appears that these have the "new electronic activated suspension" - I think I might be in a bit over my head lol - learning experiences I guess. Anyone have any clue what this does, or how to set this up?

Comment

That early GSXR front end is a bolt on for your 750. It's pretty much the same length as your GS forks so clearance shouldn't be an issue even with a 4 into 1 and pods. The USD forks have a lot less travel than the GS forks. However, with the bigger than stock tires (120 up front, 180 in the rear), but stock steering geometry, it'll steer like a Winnebago stuck in molasses unless you raise the rear end up a bit. You could get the bike to steer faster and gain a bit more ground clearance if you got some longer than stock rear shocks like the ZRX1200 shocks.

Once the bank account is ready, start scouting for a matching front rim.

Once that's done, since you want to keep the twinshock setup, start scouting for a GS1100 swingarm. Or if you're feeling a bit more adventurous and are comfortable with aluminum welding, you could weld on shock mounts to a swingarm that was designed for a monoshock setup. In my experience, the newer, stiffer swingarms were easier to find than the GS and early GSXR swingers, but the early stuff looks more "period" if that matters to you. That and they're designed with a rim wide enough for a radial tire in mind, so getting some big rubber in the rear like a 180 radial is relatively easy. And this is a good idea since you'll be running a radial up front with your new forks and it's not such a good idea to mix and match radials with bias ply tires.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2007, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Well this is very good news!! The bad news is that I can't get to bed at night, I sit in bed ironically, "day dreaming" about the hundred things or so I want to do to the bike lol.

I don't have a Tig welder to do any aluminum welding and I am not very good at welding (I have a cheap mig welder that I like to blame as the cause for my rough beads lol)- this is in term is also the reason why I'm leaning away from a monoshock conversion. Thanks for the info on the rear shocks, but how much taller will these make the bike? I sit comfortably on it now, but I wouldn't want it too much taller. Also is there a cheap way to use my current superbike handle bars with the new forks I just got? - the clipons I feel are going to make me lean way too much. I have a hundred other questions in mind, but I'll keep these for latter so I don't overwhelm anyone. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by bexabarr View Post
          Well this is very good news!! The bad news is that I can't get to bed at night, I sit in bed ironically, "day dreaming" about the hundred things or so I want to do to the bike lol.

I don't have a Tig welder to do any aluminum welding and I am not very good at welding (I have a cheap mig welder that I like to blame as the cause for my rough beads lol)- this is in term is also the reason why I'm leaning away from a monoshock conversion. Thanks for the info on the rear shocks, but how much taller will these make the bike? I sit comfortably on it now, but I wouldn't want it too much taller. Also is there a cheap way to use my current superbike handle bars with the new forks I just got? - the clipons I feel are going to make me lean way too much. I have a hundred other questions in mind, but I'll keep these for latter so I don't overwhelm anyone. Thanks again.
          The seat height will be largely the same. I was pleasantly surprised on mine to find that out after raising the rear that I could still sit on it comfortably. Do you you have the bike apart yet? What's the swingarm pivot width in mm? That'll help with figuring out which swingarms would be the easiest swap for you, but IIRC, the GS1100 will fit in your 750. Otherwise, you could take your swingarm to a local TIG welding shop and have them weld on shock mount lugs on each side of the swingarm for a dual shock setup. Is your upper triple clamp aluminum too? You could have them weld on some clamps for handlebars if you don't want to use the clip ons. Depending on your riding style though, you may actually like the clip-ons (and rearsets) more than handlebars and the stock footpegs - do you like sport riding on curvy roads or are you more into crusing?

Comment

That's a good idea, I'll have to look around where I and see if there is a tig welding shop around. I may have a friend or two that may be able to do it too. I don't have the bike apart yet, I want to keep riding for a little longer (I'm about to buy a car for the winter). Maybe I can measure the pivot width (+/- some mm) without taking it apart yet. I've never ridden anything with clipons so I don't know if I'll like it or not. But I deffenately like to cruise as well as taking the curvy roads, that's why I thought the superbike handle bars where a good combination of these both. I guess when I get around to putting these things together I'll figure out how to deal with these small details.

Comment

I got underneath the bike, and measured the width of the swingarm using a tape measure and got 20mm (give or take a few mm, but you get the idea). Is this similar to the gs1100 or other gsx swingarm?

Comment

20 mm? Is this a scale model or something?

Comment

LOL sorry.. I had measured something earlier in mm...but of course I mean 'cm' (I'm guessing you already caught on though)

Comment

The GS1000/GS1100/GSXR 1000 swingarms are 225 mm at the pivot. I'd be curious to see what the exact measurement is on your 750. One of the reasons I used a 2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm was the fact that it's the exact same width as my GS1000 swingarm at the pivot. All I had to do to get the pivot bolt to fit was have some bushings made up to match up the ID of pivot bearings in the GSXR swingarm to the OD of the GS pivot bolt.

Comment

Let me see if I can get under there and take better measurements. I'm thinking of eventually converting this thread into "my project" thread - so here is a picture of my 750 so you guys have an idea of what she looks like now.

In this pic I think that the tank is either overly tightened or out of place, I don't think it should have that much of an incline (judging from other member's pics)

Comment

Ok last reply... I have to get back to reality. I remeasured (again with the tape measure, but more precisely this time) and found that it was 21 mm.

here is a picture to show you from where I measured. From where the red line beggins to the other side and obviously I did not count that same amount on the other side. I thought that these sections where part of the frame. I don't know if that is true or not, I guess I could check on bikebandit's diagram or something.

Comment

Ok last reply... I have to get back to reality. I remeasured (again with the tape measure, but more precisely this time) and found that it was 21 mm.

here is a picture to show you from where I measured. From where the red line beggins to the other side and obviously I did not count that same amount on the other side. I thought that these sections where part of the frame. I don't know if that is true or not, I guess I could check on bikebandit's diagram or something.
                          The part you have indicated in green are frame bosses that sit adjacent to the swingarm pivot. They act as basically permanent spacers. What's the measurement of the green part? The best measurement of the actual pivot width in red will come once you remove it from the frame and measure with digital calipers. It sounds like the measurement will be 225 mm by the fact that the 1100 swingarm fits in the 1000, and the 1000 fits in the 750.

Comment

When I had my head stuck under the bike the spacer you speak of looked like it was part of the frame, but now that I take a closer look at the picture I see perfectly what you are talking about. I won't have the swingarm off for a while so I won't know for sure what the exact measurement is. Looking at your link though, it seems that that one of the 82' 750 had similar swingarm dimensions as that of the 1000 (except for the pivot whole which is smaller on the 750). knowing me, I will probably end up buying a swingarm and then do the measuring lol.

Comment

When I had my head stuck under the bike the spacer you speak of looked like it was part of the frame, but now that I take a closer look at the picture I see perfectly what you are talking about. I won't have the swingarm off for a while so I won't know for sure what the exact measurement is. Looking at your link though, it seems that that one of the 82' 750 had similar swingarm dimensions as that of the 1000 (except for the pivot whole which is smaller on the 750). knowing me, I will probably end up buying a swingarm and then do the measuring lol.
                              Doh. I just looked at your pic again on a better monitor than before and the green part is part of the swingarm. The round bit to the left of that is the frame boss. So if you measure from the left edge of the green bit all the way to the other side, I bet it'll be pretty close to 225 mm. I'll be watching your project thread and will try to help out if you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X