Coil on #2 and 3 not firing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil on #2 and 3 not firing??

Hey all, I has this post a few weeks ago regarding gas mileage. Everything was pointing to a bad coil pack. So I got a new set of coil packs from Bikebandit. Change them out, tested them and then there was nothing; #2 and 3 are still not firing but if I switch them it will fire 1 and 4. So I'm now curious of what's going on. The coil pack is good, once connected nothing. I tested the connection when I turn the bike over it is getting something, but not firing the coil.. I hope someone has some answers because I'm all out of them.

Please help its starting to get cold and I would like to ride it a few more times before it's too cold to.

Thanks in advance.
    J-

Originally posted by Kato76 View Post
    Hey all, I has this post a few weeks ago regarding gas mileage. Everything was pointing to a bad coil pack. So I got a new set of coil packs from Bikebandit. Change them out, tested them and then there was nothing; #2 and 3 are still not firing but if I switch them it will fire 1 and 4. So I'm now curious of what's going on. The coil pack is good, once connected nothing. I tested the connection when I turn the bike over it is getting something, but not firing the coil.. I hope someone has some answers because I'm all out of them.

Please help its starting to get cold and I would like to ride it a few more times before it's too cold to.

Thanks in advance.
    J-
    Umm left coil is 1 & 3 and right coil is 2 & 4. If 2 & 3 are not firing then the issue is more likely related to either fuel/air or plugs.

Comment

The plugs them selves aren't firing no spark coming from the plug itself... I just bought brand new ones... still lost... :-(

Comment

The plugs them selves aren't firing no spark coming from the plug itself... I just bought brand new ones... still lost... :-(
        Take the plug wire off the plug and hold it against the frame of the bike. Does the wire spark?

Comment

Nope.. tried that.. no spark going to the spark plugs..

Comment

Nope.. tried that.. no spark going to the spark plugs..
            Time to get out your multi-meter. You have an electrical short or ground some place. Its not located on one specific coil its affecting both. Sorry cant be much more help.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
              Umm left coil is 1 & 3 and right coil is 2 & 4.
              IIRC, left coil does 1 and 4, right coil does 2 and 3.

Comment

Hi Kato76,
                I put the attached picture together for another thread, but maybe it will help you. Things to check: 12 volts going into the coil primary. At the points where the other lead of the coil primary connects to the points, do you have 12 volts when the points are open and 0 volts when the points are closed. Try disconnecting the condensor. It might be shorted.
                Tomm

Comment

Assuming you have points. If not, same principles apply . . .

Comment

Either bad connection at or before the 2&3 coil, bad igniter or bad crank trigger.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Guys looks like I have my weekend cut out for me..

Comment

Uhm... where should I start...

Comment

OK I checked the ground it was a bit rusted so I cleaned that up.... still nothing

I did check with the Multimeter, up unto the Coil pack it's self, and I'm getting voltage up to the pack... but still not spark at the plugs..I checked the plugs and they are good.. made sure the gap was good.

So I opened up the area where the points are and that's where I got confused I'm not sure what I am looking at and what needs to be tested for voltage..

so if someone can give me an overview I would appreciate it

thanks
                          J-

Comment

New Information

I don't have points or condensors, I have an electrical ignition that has pick ups...

I got this information from a gentleman who I work with..

does this sound right....?

????

Comment

Here's what my signal generator looks like

Comment

Working...
                              X