Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine needs total rebuild and I have about a month?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine needs total rebuild and I have about a month?????

What do I do. Anyone who has done this before want to come live with me for about 2-3 weeks this is scarry. It started with a slight chirping sound which I thought was only an exhaust leak. Not. Yesterday I took off Got about 5 miles from home turned around. Yep a crew of little gremlins with hammers in my engine. It has never been low on oil and has never since I've had it been to extreme rpms usually not above 6-7 it shows redline of 9,500. What gives. could this have something to do with it sitting for 14 years. Could the rings have been stuck and worn causing shavings in my oil, I just dont understand. I was under the impression these engines were bullet proof. My bike had 6300+- on it when I bought it and the only problem keeping it from starting was that when the guy before me cleaned the carbs he got one of the diaphrams folded over when he put the sid back on the carb. I have put about 1500 mile on it since I bought it mostly around town here. I just dont understand and I've never rebuilt a motorcycle engine before. Is there help for that kind of an idiot on the site.

In dire straits,

Matt

To rebuild or not.....

Matt:
    First off we need to know which motor you have.....Alot of guys here will know right off the bat if yours is of the rollor crank variety by the engine designation.
    Next we need to isolate if the suspect sound is on whats' called the bottom end or the top-end. It makes a lot of difference on the amount of work you'll have to do if its' 'top' or 'bottom'.
    Less work if it is 'top' more if it is 'bottom'.
    Yes rings can rust up moderately to severely if let sit for an amount of time.
    I've never run into this particular situation, but it would make sense of rusted rings to rip up the bores while running....I would suspect some rather nasty noises would have cropped up immediately after the initial start-up after sitting for so long.
    Rick.......

Comment

I have a 1982 GS650GLZ and it does sound like bottom end to me. Ive heard a car with a rod knocking this sounds like it could be tow or more rods.

Comment

Matt,

I am in Fort Wayne and have a good GS650G motor. Contact me to see what we can do.

Comment

Matt:
          If your motor hasn't blown itself to bits you shouldn't have too much trouble rebuilding it. You will need somebody who's done it before if you want a lasting rebuild (somebody to prevent you from making bad judgement calls when nobody is around) but you won't need a whole bunch of tools. You'll need to start ordering parts today if you want them in in time.

Start taking it apart, it isn't going to hurt it any.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X