X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550 Carb advice...

Yes, I searched... so much info...

I have a 1980 GS550E...

Bought it last year... with about 6000 miles on it...

Hasn't run correctly since I owned it... Obviously carb issues... No other mods...

Here's where I am at...

Due to the fact that I had a hell of a time getting the carbs off in order to clean them out, I just ordered pods tonight...

I will probably also order the carb rebuild kits...

However... where do I start with the jetting to go with the pods? It has the stock exhaust on it...

What jets do I buy? Where do I buy them?

I am totally new to carb tuning...

Thanx for your help guys...

Randi

You actually asked some questions that I was going to probably end up asking further down the line. So I'm tagging this thread. :-D

Comment

Before you do pods, you should do a carb re-build. You MAY have problems with the pods, getting the jetting correct.
      9 times out of 10 it's gummed up carbs. Go through them throughly, get the o-rings from Robert Barr. Make sure you do a bench synch. There are instructions on the web-site how to clean the carbs.
      I have taken my carbs out at least 10 times...use lots of silicone spray. Make sure the boots aren't dry rotted, and have a good seal when they are back in.
      Good luck!:-D

Comment

Well, the reason for the pods is that I don't think I am getting a good fit on the airbox due to years of age... I don't think I'm getting a good seal....

However, I also am not sure... How does one test for an airleak?

I had such a hard time getting them back on after I got them off, I figured the hell with it, and just ordered pods...

I thought I sprayed out those carbs pretty good, but I only did the main parts I guess... Carbs are very intimidating....

Randi

Comment

I took the carbs off my '81 550 on Sunday and it took me 10 minuets. The trick is to remove the two screws on top of the cross member at the top-front of the airbox and the one screw on the right side. After removing these screws you can pull back the airbox about 1 inch which makes all the difference in getting the carbs on/off.

If the carb boots are hard and shrunk, replace them. That's what I did on Sunday. The carb boots on the airbox side are $10 each and the boots on the engine side are $20 each (approx).

Even if the carb boots on the engine side look good, you MUST replace the o-rings between the engine and the boot since they very commonly leak.

In summary:

- keep the airbox and replace the boots if you don't think they seal well

- replace the o-rings under the carb boots in the front

- order o-ring kit from cycleorings.com and do a complete carb rebuild

Doing this work may sound intimidating but the bike will not run properly if you don't fix it properly.

You've been warned.

By the way: the carb boots I replaced were not in bad shape at all. I ordered them a while ago thinking I had a vacuum leak but after removing them, they are fine. I have all four for the airbox side and three engine side boots, plus new o-rings, I'm going to post in the for sale area. If interested, send me a PM.
          Last edited by Nessism; 09-19-2007, 10:14 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What kind of pods did you order?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I think I ordered emgo's from the z1enterprises website... Along with some fork springs....

Comment

Okay, cancelled the pods...

Ordered a new OEM element instead... I will hit just the carbs with the carb kits first, and see what happens!

And the fork springs... and prolly some new shocks too! I'm a big guy!

Randi
                Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Long time, no update...

After breaking the third carb body on my first rack of carbs while putting in the rebuild kit, I got a new rack of carbs from a member here... installed them last Sunday, and the bike runs GREAT!!!!

EXCEPT... it will not idle perfectly... it takes a while to go back to idle, and it will idle around 1100, 1200 rpms, but it slowly fades too about 800 then stalls...

The airbox is great on 1 and 4... 2 and 3 are on, but the bottom of the boots will not slide on all the way, probably 1/4 inch from all the way on... ARGH... I don't think that's causing my problems... but I suppose it's possible...

Also... my top speed is about 75... 6th gear wide open... tucked down.... I am a big guy 280 with gear... but the guys on the ZRX forums I am on are kinda saying that bike should do 100mph?! Any thoughts on that? It seems to be running everything except for idle really well...

Stock Airbox, New Filter, New O-Rings behind the Engine boots...

Comment

Originally posted by XenoMorph View Post
                    Long time, no update...

After breaking the third carb body on my first rack of carbs while putting in the rebuild kit, I got a new rack of carbs from a member here... installed them last Sunday, and the bike runs GREAT!!!!

EXCEPT... it will not idle perfectly... it takes a while to go back to idle, and it will idle around 1100, 1200 rpms, but it slowly fades too about 800 then stalls...

The airbox is great on 1 and 4... 2 and 3 are on, but the bottom of the boots will not slide on all the way, probably 1/4 inch from all the way on... ARGH... I don't think that's causing my problems... but I suppose it's possible...

Also... my top speed is about 75... 6th gear wide open... tucked down.... I am a big guy 280 with gear... but the guys on the ZRX forums I am on are kinda saying that bike should do 100mph?! Any thoughts on that? It seems to be running everything except for idle really well...

Stock Airbox, New Filter, New O-Rings behind the Engine boots...
                    Couple things here, one, did you CLEAN the carbs that came to you? Or had the PO claimed to have cleaned them? Whether or not they looked clean, unless HE had cleaned them prior, who knows? Yanno? Sounds like you possibly still have some gunk in the idle circuit possibly? Also, I have a couple smaller CC bikes, the most lively of which would be the KZ440LTD. Now im a big guy too, 6'4 260 and that lil KZ would top out at about 75 with me on it, wide open, screamin like a banshee. The GS550 SHOULD go a lil faster, but maybe not? I'd check the carbs again, and try spraying around your boots on the air box to assure that those two ARENT leaking. The hanging idle is also a bit symptomatic of that as well.

Comment

The previous owner claimed to have cleaned them... and the way they run off idle, I would tend to believe him... But maybe it's not running as well as I think it might be... due to the top speed.

The top speed thing baffles me...

Spray WHAT around the boots... ?

I have heard water, WD-40, or starting fluid...

What do I spray, and what do I look for?

Thanks!

Randi

Comment

Sounds like you need a carb sync.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Sounds like you need a carb sync.
                          I don't have a tool...

Comment

There are too many unknowns here. What is the condition of the carbs? What is the condition of the intake boots? Intake boot o-rings? Valve clearances?

Most likely all cylinders are not firing. Are all exhaust pipes getting hot?

My suggestion is to clean the carbs properly, replace the intake boot o-rings, and adjust the valves. Once you can properly cross off some of these basic items, you can move forward with confidence.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              There are too many unknowns here. What is the condition of the carbs? What is the condition of the intake boots? Intake boot o-rings? Valve clearances?

Most likely all cylinders are not firing. Are all exhaust pipes getting hot?

My suggestion is to clean the carbs properly, replace the intake boot o-rings, and adjust the valves. Once you can properly cross off some of these basic items, you can move forward with confidence.

Carbs are in very good condition...
                              Intake boots are Excellent.
                              Intake Boot O-Rings are new.
                              Valves, I have no idea... it's got 6300 miles on it, so I wasn't that worried about it...

Tonight I will remove the carbs, clean them again... and check the valves (If I can find out how to do it by then... I'll search on here. )

Comment

Working...
                              X