• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator and r/r story

Long story short:

1983 GS1100G with charging problems

replaced failed stator for $107 from bikebandit

replaced worthless r/r with Honda conversion for $40 from fellow GS user "duaneage"

replaced ruined battery(4 mos old) for $35 from VIP auto

Now I am happy and plan on more riding before the snow flies!
    Hope to have put this issue to rest for awhile.

moral of the story?
    If I had known the R/R failed I could have saved $$ for stator and battery and tell all your friends to take 5 minutes and check their voltage readings at the battery posts on their BELOVED Suzuki GS's

Amen to that. I did the exact same thing just a few weeks ago
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Ya need a on-board meter for these bikes:

Comment

Hey- I like the onboard voltmeter where'd you find that? Great idea, especially for old Suzukis.

Comment

Good timing on this story. Here's mine: Last weekend my wife and I were just heading out for a ride (she was on the 1982 GS550L)... we got about 4 blocks and hit a stop sign... that's when I noticed all this black smoke coming from her bike. We pulled over.. and after I removed the seat and side covers I noticed a blown fuse. So I replaced that and it caused the smoke again before blowing the new fuse. I burned through a few more fuses in order to pinpoint the source of the smoke, and it was coming from a melted point on the R/R. So, I obviously need a new one. A couple questions for you all. Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase it? I was gonna grab one off of Ebay, but I'm having second thoughts on getting another 20 year old R/R. Also, are there any other electrical issues that this may have caused... or parts I should be testing in some way... or will simply replacing the R/R likely do the trick?

Thanks,

Jon
          '82 GS 550L

Comment

1. read over the stator papers that are posted on this web site to see if you're able follow testing procedures

2. if you are, go get a $10-15 multitester at Sears

3. put the bike in the garage with ventilation and start troubleshooting. you'll need someone to hold the throttle while doing some tests

4. for a replacement R/R maybe look up fellow GSR user - DUANEAGE

note: don't just replace parts!

Comment

Try Rick's. The product is good, the price is good, it comes with a year warranty, and shipping is included in the price (or it was when I purchased mine).

www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Sorry, I gave you only half the answer.

Go the STATOR PAPERS on the main page on this site.

This check should be done whenever you are replacing an R/R to be sure all is well as a failure of the R/R will often/usually damage or destroy the stator.

Clean up the wire and cable connectors as you go. Use a dielectric grease after cleanup to ensure a long-lasting connection when finished.

While you are doing the cleanup open the fuse box and clean the contacts in there, too. (there is a panel on the back of most boxes that can be removed and replaced)

ADD an extra cable from the battery negative terminal to the bike frame and a second one to the back of the R/R.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If you need a new R/R just buy a Honda R/R from "Duaneage" on this list and fuggetaboudit. One of the best things I did to this bike and its not expensive either.

Comment

What the heck does R/R stand for.

Comment

Regulator/Rectifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguarjoe View Post
                        If you need a new R/R just buy a Honda R/R from "Duaneage" on this list and fuggetaboudit. One of the best things I did to this bike and its not expensive either.

I have one or two in stock on a daily basis. PM me for details, diagrams and more info.

BTW the voltmeter-clock-temperature gauge is available from http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Category_Code=

25 dollars delivered last I checked. Lots of bike riders have this item, and it is backlit for night use too.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Get it all over with?

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                          Long story short:
                          -1983 GS1100G with charging problems
                          -replaced failed stator for $107 from bikebandit
                          -replaced worthless r/r with Honda conversion for $40 from fellow GS user "duaneage"
                          -replaced ruined battery(4 mos old) for $35 from VIP auto

Now I am happy and plan on more riding before the snow flies!
                          Hope to have put this issue to rest for awhile.

moral of the story?
                          If I had known the R/R failed I could have saved $$ for stator and battery and tell all your friends to take 5 minutes and check their voltage readings at the battery posts on their BELOVED Suzuki GS's
                          Oh, I don't know. Everything I tested was in spec except for the r/r. So I've got a Honda r/r on the way from our own beloved Mr. duaneage. But I'm thinking seriously about replacing all these components at once anyway, just so that I know they're all new and good. I didn't get any information about the battery from the PO and I suspect the stator is original. Who knows how long they will last?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well.. I found a R/R on ebay (from a 1980 GS850) that I picked up cheap ($19 total). I figured it would do the trick since both rick's and electrosport use the same R/R for the '80 GS850 and my '82 GS550. Thanks for the advice on testing and cleaning. I'll give it all a shot and hopefully be up and running again soon!

Jon
                            1982 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by Tom108 View Post
                              Hey- I like the onboard voltmeter where'd you find that? Great idea, especially for old Suzukis.
                              Ooops....should have provided a link....Duaneage has it covered above.

Comment

Working...
                              X