I lost my WOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost my WOT!

On my Skunk. She ran perfect, but now when I go wide open, it bogs. If I let off the throttle a little, it picks back up.

I first noticed it after I synched the carbs, adjusted the pilots a little, and cleaned and re-oiled my K&N's. I think I used a bit too much oil on the filters. Could that cause my problem? She normally runs a tad rich (by choice). I removed the filters tonight and I'm cleaning them and re-oiling them tomorrow. Gotta get her fixed for this weekend for the Dynodrags!!
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Sounds like either you're not getting enough fuel and/or air into the motor at WOT. Any kinks in the gas line from the petcock to the carbs? Is your petcock working properly? I assume your carbs are clean, right, especially the mains? You haven't made any other changes so that'd rule out your jetting being incorrect since it ran well before. It may very well be that the possible over-oiling of the pods is causing insufficient airflow and a overly rich condition at WOT and then the bogging. See what happens when you reclean and reoil the pods. Maybe you could take it to the "dragstrip" (ahem ) and do a plug chop at WOT to see what the issue is.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2007, 01:06 AM.

Comment

I'm hoping that is what the problem is. I was going to go for a ride with the filters off, but didn't get a chance.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        Maybe you could take it to the "dragstrip" (ahem ) and do a plug chop at WOT to see what the issue is.
        I'll be running against Tom again, but this year his bike isn't stock! Must.....have.....bike.....running...... STRONG!\\/
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          I'll be running against Tom again, but this year his bike isn't stock! Must.....have.....bike.....running...... STRONG!\\/
          I meant that stretch of road we were ALL running WOT at the Tahoe rally would be perfect for a plug chop.

Comment

I meant that stretch of road we were ALL running WOT at the Tahoe rally would be perfect for a plug chop.
            Oh, O.K. That stretch of road just south of me by the hayfields is great for plug chops, too!
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I would also check for a kinked fuel line. I was also going to suggest running w/out the filters but.....

PJ. Which time are you reffering to . The time I blew by with my shirt over my head or the time you guys were just GONE and I wasn't gaining. I saw the brake lights and slowed down and Kent come up on me at at least 130. :shock:

Bruce, more than likely it's just a reassembly mistake you'll just say "Oh yeah" and that will be that.
              Plus do you really think you over-oiled the K&Ns? How many times have you done that?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Bruce, more than likely it's just a reassembly mistake you'll just say "Oh yeah" and that will be that.
                Plus do you really think you over-oiled the K&Ns? How many times have you done that?
                I remember noticing the bottoms of the filters being a little soggy and drippy the next day. That was actually the first time I cleaned and re-oiled them since new. They came pre-oiled when I bought them.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post

PJ. Which time are you reffering to . The time I blew by with my shirt over my head or the time you guys were just GONE and I wasn't gaining. I saw the brake lights and slowed down and Kent come up on me at at least 130. :shock:
                  We had just finished 6 Mile Canyon out of Virginia City and were on the cutoff road between 50 and 95 and we all just spontaneously HAMMERED it. Your 1100 and Bruce's 1150 were sailing. Next time I go that fast on a bike will be on a racetrack.

Comment

You might have something there with the soggy and drippy pods. Use the oil like spray paint. Short bursts back and forth at at least eight inches away. You just want to do a slight coverage to turn them red.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Next time I go that fast on a bike will be on a racetrack.
                      Where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah, it was me.......

Comment

Bruce,

It sounds like you have already diagnosed your problem. One of the first rules of troubleshooting is to look back at what, if anything, has changed since the problem started (cleaned and oiled filters). The problem you describe is common to a rich condition at full throttle. Once you back the throttle off a bit back onto the needles the mixture leans up a bit and the bike runs better. Rather than run without filters, I would clean and dry the filters then take it for a ride before oiling the filters. I'll bet it will pull hard again at WOT. Then re-oil the filters (LIGHTLY) and test again.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

On my Skunk. She ran perfect, but now when I go wide open, it bogs. If I let off the throttle a little, it picks back up.

I first noticed it after I synched the carbs, adjusted the pilots a little, and cleaned and re-oiled my K&N's. I think I used a bit too much oil on the filters. Could that cause my problem? She normally runs a tad rich (by choice). I removed the filters tonight and I'm cleaning them and re-oiling them tomorrow. Gotta get her fixed for this weekend for the Dynodrags!!
                          Fix it till it's broken? :-D It almost has to be the filters...and just how fast were you and Cheff running anyway...8-[

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                            ...and just how fast were you and Chef running anyway...8-[
                            We were flying! \\/

But what PJ failed to mention is that he went by us on his GSXR750 like we were on mopeds! :shock:
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

We were flying! \\/

But what PJ failed to mention is that he went by us on his GSXR750 like we were on mopeds! :shock:
                              I plead the 5th! 8-[

Comment

Working...
                              X