I lost my WOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
    You might have something there with the soggy and drippy pods. Use the oil like spray paint. Short bursts back and forth at at least eight inches away. You just want to do a slight coverage to turn them red.
    I didn't know you could get the K&N oil in a spray. My kit has the bottle in it. I'll pick up some spray today.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
      I didn't know you could get the K&N oil in a spray. My kit has the bottle in it. I'll pick up some spray today.
      I buy their kit that comes with two spray cans - one for cleaning and the other for oiling the filters. I have 3 filters, one in each of my two bikes and one in my car. They work great. The only problerms I hear about are not cleaning them or oiling too much when you do. Clean and oil them regularly and go light on the oil. I had the same problem you did when I first cleaned a K&N filter. I re-cleaned it and oiled it as lightly as possible and everything returned to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        I plead the 5th! 8-[
        Now...you'll have to get the streetfighter project rolling and see how it stacks up. \\/

Comment

FIXED!!!\\/

I put the un-oiled filters back on and went for an all-out ride down the road. She pulled hard all the way to redline in all 5 gears.

So lesson learned! Don't over-oil your K&N's!! :-D

Now I'm ready for the heads up Skunks on the Dynodrags! Watch out, Tom!!
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

FIXED!!!\\/

I put the un-oiled filters back on and went for an all-out ride down the road. She pulled hard all the way to redline in all 5 gears.

So lesson learned! Don't over-oil your K&N's!! :-D

Now I'm ready for the heads up Skunks on the Dynodrags! Watch out, Tom!!
            Excellent, go get 'em!

I wish my problem was as easy to fix. I can't lose my WOT cause I never had it! The PO of my 550 Katana (Kitty Kat?) put a V&H 4 -1 header and pipe on it but never rejetted. So I've got nothing after 5K RPMs until I fix it. It's frustrating.

I've never done this kind of work. Can I adjust the mains or do they need to be replaced?
            Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2007, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
              Excellent, go get 'em!

I wish my problem was as easy to fix. I can't lose my WOT cause I never had it! The PO of my 550 Katana (Kitty Kat?) put a V&H 4 -1 header and pipe on it but never rejetted. So I've got nothing after 5K RPMs until I fix it. It's frustrating.

I've never done this kind of work. Can I adjust the mains or do they need to be replaced?
              Are you using the stock airbox or pods? Get a Dynojet kit for the easiest, best results.

Comment

THe needles are more important than the mains when rejetting for a pipe and pods. The dynokit is the right way to go, it works out better. Some on this forum have gone 17 pages of threads trying to do it with stock parts and it never worked out.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                  THe needles are more important than the mains when rejetting for a pipe and pods. The dynokit is the right way to go, it works out better. Some on this forum have gone 17 pages of threads trying to do it with stock parts and it never worked out.
                  I totally agree. :-D
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I totally agree. :-D
                    .....abd you probably remember who it was that went 17 pages, right Bruce!?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                      Are you using the stock airbox or pods? Get a Dynojet kit for the easiest, best results.
                      Stock air box. I was looking for pods at first because I couldn't find parts for it - it was missing the top! I was steered away from them by someone who tried on their 550 and gave up because they couldn't get them working right. I finally found a lid. I've since replaced the filter with a K&N.

Would it be worth trying to get pods to work? It'd be sweet to get a little extra out of it, since I do have the 4 into 1 headers and pipe. But it is only a 550, I don't expect too much.

I'll order the kit next paycheck, $125 is a little much right now.

... Some on this forum have gone 17 pages of threads trying to do it with stock parts and it never worked out.
                      Ouch!

Comment

Would it be worth trying to get pods to work? It'd be sweet to get a little extra out of it, since I do have the 4 into 1 headers and pipe. But it is only a 550, I don't expect too much.
                        What brand of pods did your friend use? If you can find K&N pods for your bike, go for it and get the stage 3 jet kit. Just keep in mind that the jet kit assumes K&N pods specifically, YMMV if you use another brand. If you're keeping the airbox, get the stage 1 kit. Either way, follow the directions in the kit closely and you shouldn't have issues. I did the K&N pods + stage 3 kit + 4 into 1 on the 1000 and it runs great.

Comment

The pods are K&N. It was a member who complained about them. Here's the thread:

The only kit Dynojet lists for my bike, the 82 GS550 Katana, is a stage 3. Would it even work with my stock airbox?
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

In my opinion , no. The most you could hope for would be 3 or 4 horsepower and that is not noticeable on a 50 hp bike really. Lighten the bike up by removing the centerstand, and a few other things, to shave 30 lbs off and you'll see a differnce.

Comment

In my opinion , no. The most you could hope for would be 3 or 4 horsepower and that is not noticeable on a 50 hp bike really. Lighten the bike up by removing the centerstand, and a few other things, to shave 30 lbs off and you'll see a differnce.

So, if I stick with the stock airbox and Dynojet doesn't make a stage 1 kit, what should I do? Buy ithe satage 3 kit and try to make it work? See if I can adjust my stock needles and mains? What?

It really seems like a main jet issue, since I only have trouble when I get into it's range.

Comment

So, if I stick with the stock airbox and Dynojet doesn't make a stage 1 kit, what should I do? Buy ithe satage 3 kit and try to make it work? See if I can adjust my stock needles and mains? What?

It really seems like a main jet issue, since I only have trouble when I get into it's range.
                                Have you done plug chops to see where your jetting is at as-is? It's probably a bit to a lot on the lean side right now if you haven't richened it up for the pipe. A stage 3 kit would make it much too rich unless you also use the K&N pods.

Comment

Working...
                                X