I lost my WOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emjay View Post
    So, if I stick with the stock airbox and Dynojet doesn't make a stage 1 kit, what should I do? Buy ithe satage 3 kit and try to make it work? See if I can adjust my stock needles and mains? What?

It really seems like a main jet issue, since I only have trouble when I get into it's range.
    This is why I am not a fan of pods and pipes. There are two ways to approach this.

1. Find someone tht has a similar setup and frankly copy their method. It may involve some testing but you need to start somewhere.

2. Relentless testing with high speed runs and plug views. This means going 75 mph, cutting the engine, and pulling over to check the plugs. Raise needles, then goe up a main jet size in each carb, then raise needles one step at a time, until you get a nice tan plug color. PLan on taking the carbs apart 10 times to get it right.

CV vacuum operated carbs are a real Hillary since they are more sensitive to the air load across them than VM carbs are. The slides and needles are operated by engine vacuum and can be very tempermental.

It also goes without saying that you need manifolds that are airtight, newish plugs, good compression, even compression, good fuel flow, and proper valve adjustments to do this right. If these issues are not sorted out retuning the carbs will be a real chore.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
      FIXED!!!\\/

I put the un-oiled filters back on and went for an all-out ride down the road. She pulled hard all the way to redline in all 5 gears.

So lesson learned! Don't over-oil your K&N's!! :-D
      I've been trying to tell people for quite awhile how easy it is to over-oil the filters with the bottle or spray.
      The K&N spray oiling instructions say to make a pass per pleat. That will just get you a wet filter and you get to do it over again.
      From about 4", I make a quick pass for every 2 pleats with very little overlap. Works for me.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
      X