Breaking Tach Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking Tach Cables

Ok members I need advice. Today I got my 4th tach cable in only 5 years. The first was when I got the bike. The second lasted less than a year. The third I pumped full of grease with the grease gun (it lasted 2 years) and now its also in need of replacement. The cable isnt kinked and Im at a loss as to why I keep having to replace it. Ideas??? Soultion??

Originally posted by Nathan Daube View Post
    Ok members I need advice. Today I got my 4th tach cable in only 5 years. The first was when I got the bike. The second lasted less than a year. The third I pumped full of grease with the grease gun (it lasted 2 years) and now its also in need of replacement. The cable isnt kinked and Im at a loss as to why I keep having to replace it. Ideas??? Soultion??
    Howdy Nathan. I'll assume these cables all twisted off near one end. Discounting the first one which may have been ready to go, there's 3 factors to consider. First is the cable's load......the tach itself which may be binding. Secondly (and often the most likely) is cable friction - use a light oil for best service (in my experience).....secondly is a cable too long, which, though not kinked, may route through a long bend......big time friction. Third, related to the first 2 is input speed AND acceleration of the cable......I typically run my old GS1000 between 2800 and 5500 rpm max.....the rare excursion higher and I've gotten 14 years and 95000+ km so far (I used ATF for that cable). I don't continuously work the throttle (free revving and the likes).....the bike works well and I rarely find myself in a "dig" with some other contraption

You asked about a solution......I'd start with looking over the cable and/or verifying that it's the correct cable (I'll assume this to be correct due to the number).....make a drive pin (or use an old one from a broken cable) and spin the tach with your fingers......it should spin very easily, smoothly and without binding........Don't use grease (or at least not EP2 etc) on the cable.....try the oil.

That's my experience for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2007, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I could make a joke about spending too much time at 9000RPM but that would be inappropriate. If your tossing away tach cables it could be a lubrication issue, maybe moly grease instead of oil would be better. The tachometer could be the culprit, maybe it is a little tight and it's straining the cable. Considering the cables are not too expensive (11.00 for cable and housing last year) I would hesitate to replace the tachometer unless you get one cheap.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

That was the only problem my '79 GS850 had, from the showroom. It ate tach cables, even under warranty. No suggestions, but maybe -- get used to it?
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

That was the only problem my '79 GS850 had, from the showroom. It ate tach cables, even under warranty. No suggestions, but maybe -- get used to it? I had some that lasted 20,000 miles and one that didn't last 10 miles. No idea what the variable was.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            I could make a joke about spending too much time at 9000RPM but that would be inappropriate. If your tossing away tach cables it could be a lubrication issue, maybe moly grease instead of oil would be better. The tachometer could be the culprit, maybe it is a little tight and it's straining the cable. Considering the cables are not too expensive (11.00 for cable and housing last year) I would hesitate to replace the tachometer unless you get one cheap.

That is what I use. Use only a light coat of grease.

Comment

Working...
            X