Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm stupid, and need help recovering from a mistake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm stupid, and need help recovering from a mistake...

I have a '79 GS550L. It would not run well, bad acceleration past 40mph, poor idle, hard to start.

I concluded the carbs were in need of cleaning. I took them apart and cleaned them. All is well, except I took too much apart. Best I can reference, one of the parts I removed was a factory preset, do not remove under penalty of it'll never run again.

Anyone have a reference for the presets on these carbs? I have been completely unsuccessful at finding them, or replacement carbs (GS550 or GS750 carbs).

Help?

Without enough details as to what exactly you are refering to, the factory pre-set for the idle fuel mixture is around 1.5 turns out( this is an air adjustment, farther out is leaner), did you check the points and capacitors? They sound more the culprit here

Comment

Are the carb papers still in The Garage? You may want to check these out. Maybe you?ll see something familiar and get the stuff back together again. It s hard to tell by your descreption what the problem is.

Comment

"Ain?t nuddin wrong withem rednex"

Arnold after all the education that you have, do you really want to screw up the English language by talking like Americans.

Comment

Preset

I recently disassembled and reassembled my '79 GS550L, including the carbs. Didn't touch the factory pre-sets, though. Do you happen to know which ones you changed? My carbs are back in the bike now, but maybe I can get to the part and figure out what it's set at on mine.

Michael

Comment

Well, it was a screw out brass piece that looked a lot like the jets. however, it wasn't, once removed. Hard to describe, and I can;t find a pic to illustrate.

The answer about airflow sounds very likely, and 1.5 turns would put it close to bottom, where I seem to recall it was. I just couldn't tell how close to bottom. :?

I replaced points and condenser first, thinking that would be it. I have recently replaced the coils too. I get nice fat knock you on your ass (really. Long story 8O ) spark from them. Timing seems good, too, but hard to check accurately when it won't run at all.

Added:
            I looked at the carb guide in the garage here. It was so completely different than my carbs as to be near useless in my particular application. It is great as a general guide, however. Just not useful for unding my mistake.

Side note: What other bikes have these or better carbs that I can drop in place? (I am willing to remove the airbox and use individual air filters instead. I'd likely do it anyway.)

Comment

Working...
            X