gs850 carbs not getting fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 carbs not getting fuel

I just rebuilt my CV carbs and replaced all the orings and such...didnt set the floats since they were running before, just needed to be cleaned really well...got it all back together and now it doesnt get any fuel at all...the fuel line wont evevn fill...other than setting the floats what other reason could I have for not getting any fuel? I cant even blow into the fuel line and force fuel in...reomved the filter too just in case that was clogged.

Did you try the Prime position on the petcock? And if you replaced the fuel line, is it too long and kinked?

Comment

I did try the prime position...although i dont see where it matters...I removed that damn diaphram in he petcock awhile ago and capped the vacumme lines...it was running before I tore the carbs apart...now it doesnt get any fuel...fuel line is clear and unkinked...when I shake the bike fuel moves down the line into the carbs, but not enough to matter alot...thinking the floats are all screwed up and I need to go back and reset them correctly...but other than that is there anything else I need to be on the look out for?

Comment

I would isolate the two areas to see which is failing.

I was going to have you check the petcock, but I see that you have disabled the auto-shutoff part of the petcock. This means that it should now flow gas all the time. Just out of curiosity, how do you pull the tank for service?

Sounds like there is definitely something wrong with the float valves. Removing the filter was a good first step. Some times an air bubble will get trapped in the filter, turning it into a plug. Take a look at the float adjustment. You say you did not check it anyway, so that might be your problem.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure vent lines are clear and get a new petcock.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Not to sound stupid, BUT Did you make sure their was enough fuel in the tank

Comment

If the fuel line will not even fill up, you have a dirty petcock screen or the petcock isn't operating right. If someone replaced your petcock with the infamous style that needs a screwdriver to turn to prime, then you need to keep cranking to INITIATE fuel flow, provided the petcock and screen and gas cap vent is clean/clear.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

fuel

havent had time to get back and do the floats...there is gas in the tank...also used another with gas so its not the petcock...although both tanks did flow once I removed the line..will get a chance to check in a couple days. still leaning towards the floats

Comment

Working...
                X