Aftermarket Starter solenoid wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Starter solenoid wiring.

New to the board, I picked up a 1981 gs250t for my wife with 1038 original miles on it. Cleaned the carb and got her running but the only way I can get it to start is by arcing a screwdriver across the poles. I work in motorsport and came across a starter solenoid that bolts on but its a four pole and I was wondering about wiring.

Attached is pics of stock and how I think its wired. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks,
    Primo

Here is the aftermarket one mounted on the bike.

Comment

Well I just had a thought and tried to reattach the sidecover. My new solenoid is way to big to clear it. Still any help just getting it to work for now would be greatly appreciated. Also how does one test a starter solenoid?

Primo
      Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

See the attached diagram for the basic wiring of a starter solenoid. If you have to jump across the solenoid, either the solenoid itself is bad, the connection from the battery through the switches to the solenoid is bad (including bad switches), or the the solenoid connection back to ground (usually through the bike frame) is bad. Check for 12 volts at the solenoid from the starter switch, and check the ground connection.

Comment

Working...
        X