81 GS1100E Charging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS1100E Charging?

I'm not charging. But before I go through everything else, I have a quick question about the wire that hooks up to the battery. I put a different battery in that doesnt have that connector. Will this have any effect on the charging system? Thanks in advance for any and all responses, Greg!

So 1100E has a low battery fluid indicator light? If so, not connecting it should have no impart on battery charging.

As to your charging issue, check to see if you have a good ground for the R/R. The ground often develops resistance which takes the R/R out...and subsuquently the stator. Good fix is to run the R/R ground wire over to the negative battery terminal.

If your R/R is toast, many people adapt a Honda R/R since it's much more robust. Do a search and you will get lots of hits.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the info. Time to track down the problem before I run out pf riding days. Thank you.

Comment

Every battery I ever saw has two terminal posts . . . one positive and one negative. Don't know what you mean by, "I put a different battery in that doesnt have that connector." Picture please, but if you have a wire that used to connect to your battery and isn't now, yes, it is probably related.

Comment

Thanks Nessism. Now I understand!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomm View Post
            Every battery I ever saw has two terminal posts . . . one positive and one negative. Don't know what you mean by, "I put a different battery in that doesn't have that connector." Picture please, but if you have a wire that used to connect to your battery and isn't now, yes, it is probably related.
            some GS require a battery with a extra hole in the top that a sensor plugs into that triggers a warning light when the battery needs servicing.
            unfortunately they can be difficult to find compared with the regular yb14l-a2 and sometimes the sensor battery is more expensive.

Comment

Yes it has the sensor. The new battery does not. I dont care about the light, but will it affect the charging system?

Comment

Originally posted by ghainjr1 View Post
                Yes it has the sensor. The new battery does not. I dont care about the light, but will it affect the charging system?
                nope no connection the sensor goes to warning light relay module then to the idiot light, no connection to charging.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!!! Readings on stator aren't right, pulling it now. I replaced R/R last summer, hope its not dead also. I already sold my spare a couple months ago. See what happens!!

Comment

Stators toast and what I thought was my spare is a no go! I guess theres always next year.
                    Thanks alot for everyones help. I'll be back on here riding or not. Thanks again, Greg

Comment

Explanation for those that do not know:
                      The only purpose of that sensor is to detect proper electrolyte level.
                      Nice feature, but it only checks one of the six cells in the battery. :shock:

If you get a battery that does not have a port for the sensor, there are at least two ways to turn off the "battery" light that are reversible. You can connect the sensor to a switched 12 volt wire (tail light wire works nicely) or you can remove the bulb from the instrument cluster.

Of course, by doing either of these, you are committing yourself to checking your electrolyte level on a regular basis. A better alternative is to spend a few more dollars and get a sealed battery. Besides the nice part that you don't ever have to check the fjuid level, they usually have a better cranking capacity and longer reserve rating. \\/

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X