1980 GS750 clutch problems help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750 clutch problems help!!

My clutch cable recently broke. I replaced it today and adjusted it to what seems operational. Now the clutch pull is extremely light. It is actuating the clutch arm on the engine case, but not to the full range of motion. With the clutch lever engaged or not, the shift lever feels the same.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by chafe1 View Post
    My clutch cable recently broke. I replaced it today and adjusted it to what seems operational. Now the clutch pull is extremely light. It is actuating the clutch arm on the engine case, but not to the full range of motion. With the clutch lever engaged or not, the shift lever feels the same.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    The pinion shaft/gear must be fully rotated clockwise until it stops under finger pressure. That is the starting point where the pressure is exerted from the cable. At that point, mount the clutch arm (at approx' 9:00 works for many models). Loosely attach the cable at each end. If your cable has a mid-point adjuster, take up most of the slack there. Now take up most of the remaining slack at the clutch arm. Make sure your threaded adjuster is turned in enough turns so it's solid and not wiggling around. Now make your final slack adjustment at the lever and be sure the threaded adjuster is turned in enough too. Now you should have plenty of future adjustment to make at the easiest point, the lever.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I will try this in the morning. (No garage.) Thanks very much. I will post the results of this adventure.

Comment

further complications

Upon further inspection, the release pinion rotates (arm disconnected) in both directions with basically no resistance. It seems to me that some resistance should be felt when the clutch is engaged and/or released. I don't know if something has stripped inside or I am just missing something here?

Any info is appreciated.

Comment

Upon further inspection, the release pinion rotates (arm disconnected) in both directions with basically no resistance. It seems to me that some resistance should be felt when the clutch is engaged and/or released. I don't know if something has stripped inside or I am just missing something here?

Any info is appreciated.
          The typical pinion shaft/gear can be easily rotated in both directions as you described. At the point where you can no longer turn the shaft by finger, that's where the lever/cable will be needed to apply enough force to continue that movement and dis-engage the clutch. Don't even bother to test or try moving the arm easily by hand. It will continue movement with the lever pulling the cable.
          The only thing I'm not positive about is the direction your clutch arm normally points. If meant to point at approx' 9:00, then you would rotate the shaft clockwise until it stops under finger pressure, then attach the arm at 9:00 and it should be adjustable from there with normal cable slack adjustment. If it normally points to approx' 3:00, then you would need to rotate the shaft counter-clockwise fully and then attach the arm at 3:00, etc.
          Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 09-22-2007, 11:39 PM.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Any info is appreciated.
            Also, rotating the shaft back and forth isn't actuating the clutch at all. You're just taking up the free play between the two meshing parts inside. Once that play is removed as I've tried to describe earlier, the clutch will start actuating.
            Now if you can continually turn the shaft in either direction without limit, then the pinion shaft and gear have become out of line or not making contact. That generally only happens if you have the cover off and forget to align the two parts during re-assembly. A broken cable shouldn't cause the two to part contact.

Comment

thanks much

Thank you very much for your insights. This worked and I am back on the road. I am pleased to say that this is the first forum that has actually benefited me.

Thanks all.

Comment

Thank you very much for your insights. This worked and I am back on the road. I am pleased to say that this is the first forum that has actually benefited me.

Thanks all.
                Glad to help and thanks for the thank you.
                Just to help with future questions, does your clutch arm now point to approx' 9:00 when correctly mounted or does it point to approx' 3:00? Thanks.

Comment

arm orientation

The arm now points to about 9:00, or towards the rear of the bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X