80 GS1100 lights, check panel died!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS1100 lights, check panel died!

So I started my 80 GS1100 leaving work yesterday, and something strange happened...my check panel, guage backlight, headlight, tail light and turn signals all stopped functioning. Brake light still works, oil and neutral indicators OK, but the highbeam and turn indicator lights also don't work.

I checked fuses, OK. Played with the connections I thought might be of issue, still the same. I need to ride this baby tomorrow and while the bike still runs fine, I don't want to chance not having a headlight.

I know these lights are all related, and with the plethora of knowledge on the site here, I figure there is an obvious answer. But time is running out on me! Any help would really be appreciated! In the meantime I'm splittin' time between the bike, the manual and the archives here.

Thanks,
    Graeme

First off, just how did you check the fuses? A simple visual check is no guarantee that they are good. Fuses have been known to break inside the metal cylinder at the end, where you can not see it. Best to check with a meter or test light.

Second, use a test light to see if you are getting power to the "live" side of all your fuses when the key is on. If you are, check the "dead" side, with the fuses installed.

If you are missing one of the "live" feeds, check the contacts coming from the ignition switch. There is usually a 9-pin plug under the tank that has all those connections available. Shoot, it might even just be dirty connections in that plug.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I don't have a meter or a test light though. I'm checking the connection under the tank and I'll see if that's a problem...

Comment

You will need either a light or a meter to test that connector, or, in fact, anything electrical on the bike.

Splurge. Don't get the $3.99 Made in China do-all electrical test kit. Get a better light for about $5, or, even better, chase down a Snap-On or Mac tools truck and get one for just over $20. Yeah, it costs more, but it has a 12' coiled cord that is very flexible and easy to use. It's made for professional use, so in our limited-use garages, it will last a lifetime.

For a meter, you can get a decent one from Sears for $30.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It was a fuse. Good call Steve, fuse looked good but musta been f'd up where you can't see...

Comment

By the way, 10-4 on the meter/tester. I almost bought one a few months back but sorted out the problem I had at the time. Always a good tool to have though!

G

Comment

That blown fuse was an attention getter. Clean and tighten all the electrical connections now. Run a ground wire from your R.R. to the negative battery terminal now or your heading down a troubled street in your near future.

Comment

Working...
              X