Volts on coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volts on coil

I`ve checked the volts for my coils (O/W to earth), and the result are only 9,5 volt ??????? (The same to my electr. ign. unit)
    Shouldent it have been at least 12V ????
    Are there something wrong or ????

Best reg.
    KnutK

That's too low, with a good battery and engine OFF, you should have 12-13 Volts, with engine running, 13.25-14.5 volts depending on RPM,if much higher or lower, there is a problem, check connections and grounds for corrosion

Comment

Thanks Dave
      This is probably the reason that this engine runs with backfiring and don`t burn the fuel very well. It`s also very tricky to start.

KnutK

Comment

first, remove the fuses and clean/sand the fuse holder/contacts, they are made of brass and the tarnish that forms on brass is a poor conductor, also clean and or replace all wiring conectors, this will improve the voltage reaching the coils. (among other items) a trick to do that makes a huge differance is to wire in a relay to take the electrical load off the ignition switch, you can learn how to wire in a relay in this thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=6315

Comment

Another thing to check is the ign switch, Quite often there is a big drop in voltage thru the switch and related wiring. The best way to fix it is to use a relay to turn the power off and on, running the bike directly from the battery eliminating the voltage drop

Comment

Working...
          X