exhaust swap question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust swap question...

Does anyone know if an exhaust from an '81 GS1100E will fit an "82 GS1100G?? The "82 is an 8-valve head, not sure about the "81.

Thanks,
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

that should be okay... I think '83 is when the swingarm (and by default, the exhaust) is longer. I was able to fit a short ('81) exhaust on my '83 bike, but it was a tight fit.

Comment

the G has a wider frame and some "adjusting" is required, but it can fit if you are determined enough and are willing to do the cutting and grinding needed to get the mufflers to clear, header spacing at the exhaust ports works with little to no "adjusting".

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
        the G has a wider frame and some "adjusting" is required, but it can fit if you are determined enough and are willing to do the cutting and grinding needed to get the mufflers to clear, header spacing at the exhaust ports works with little to no "adjusting".
        Ah, the port spacing was my biggest question. The exhaust in question here is a 4/2/1, so it might not be a huge issue. Any idea if the engine mounting angles are similar? How about the overall engine height?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X