Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hole in '80 GS450 Muffler--Repair/Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hole in '80 GS450 Muffler--Repair/Replacement?

I have a 1980 GS450 that was sitting outside for a couple seasons and the right muffler developed a hole, now about the width of a large carrot, on the underside. I've tried to patch it with a product called Victor Muffler Mender, a paste that resists heat, but the hole's too large fto hold. Since I don't have access to welding or riveting equipment I'm considering replacing just the one side. (If anyone knows another patch product that handles large-ish holes please let me know.)

Regarding the replacement option does anyone have experience with aftermarket mufflers that don't cost as much as automobile mufflers?!? I recently saw a Honda Nighthawk 250 whose pipes *looked* identical to mine, which led me to consider looking for aftermarket replacements.

Thanks in advance for any advice about either option.

Aftermarket mufflers exist but you are going to have to have them welded since the stockers do not seperate from the head tubes. One cheap fix is to hit your local Harley shop and see if they have any cast-offs (most Harley owners ditch the stockers because they think loud pipes makes their peni$ grow).

Regarding a fix for your old mufflers, I once made a patch from a piece of sheet metal and JB Weld. Fashion the patch to cover the hole with a good margin on the sides and glue it in place. JD Weld will hold up if the hole is toward the back of the muffler where it doesn't get too hot.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There are muffler bandages that wrap around thge pipe. I think they'd work great, but may not look so great.

Comment

The muffler patch stuff you have will work, but you need to re-enforce it with something... (window screen works well).

Comment

The adhesive muffler wrap/bandage stuff does work pretty well. Just be sure to really clean the pipe well and remove all grease and oil from the area. I just used some laquer thinner. Then wrap the tape around the muffler overlapping the turns and wire it in place. I had one last two years until I got a new muffler for my GS550.

Comment

I really don't care what the repair looks like, but still rather not drive around w/tape wrapped around the muffler if I can help it. All else fails I may try it though. Thanks for the idea.

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
            The adhesive muffler wrap/bandage stuff does work pretty well. Just be sure to really clean the pipe well and remove all grease and oil from the area. I just used some laquer thinner. Then wrap the tape around the muffler overlapping the turns and wire it in place. I had one last two years until I got a new muffler for my GS550.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I may try JB Weld if the putty reinforced w/screen idea doesn't work.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Aftermarket mufflers exist but you are going to have to have them welded since the stockers do not seperate from the head tubes. One cheap fix is to hit your local Harley shop and see if they have any cast-offs (most Harley owners ditch the stockers because they think loud pipes makes their peni$ grow).

Regarding a fix for your old mufflers, I once made a patch from a piece of sheet metal and JB Weld. Fashion the patch to cover the hole with a good margin on the sides and glue it in place. JD Weld will hold up if the hole is toward the back of the muffler where it doesn't get too hot.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by thinkemm View Post
                Thanks for the info! I may try JB Weld if the putty reinforced w/screen idea doesn't work.
                Use the putty to get the screen to stick, then wait for it to dry. After it has dried enough to hold the screen well, fill over the screen with a couple thin layers of the putty.

I had several holes in my exhaust I successfully patched this way.

Comment

Working...
                X