Please help,bike won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help,bike won't start

Previous owner got it running with starter fluid,since then I put in new gaskets and replaced intake boots but that's it.Now it doesn't start but all lights work fine.I don't have a battery so I used a emergency portable jumper(the power dome) and also hooked it up to a car battery from a non-running car,all the lights work and the gears shift smooth.

any ideas why it won't start?

I don't hear a click or anything,but I know the starter is good because he also started it with a portable jumper.

also the oil light is on,I put in about 1900ML but it calls for 2400ML,I thought maybe it would still start ok.planning to put in the rest asap.

Comment

What's the year and model? Most GS's require the clutch be pulled in to start. Are you pulliing in the clutch? I don't know but some may not start with the kickstand down unless its in neutral. Other than that you'll need a volt meter and have to start checking for current. A wiring diagram is very helpful. Do you have a volt meter?

Comment

it's an 82' GS550L,no voltmeter,kickstand down in nuetral also tried pulling the clutch in.

Comment

Is the kill switch set to run?

Comment

yes ..........

Comment

Under the left side cover is the starter solenoid. It has a yellow wire going to it. It also has 2 bigger guage wires on it. Using a screw driver and touching the 2 bigger wires together should make the starter turn over if the problem is in the solenoid. Make sure it is in neutral and clutch is pulled in. If it turns over it is either the solenoid or the starter button. If the starter button was held for an extended length of time attempting to start the bike the starter solenoid is probably fried.

Comment

Bypass the clutch safety switch.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

what's the clutch safety switch?

also what is this loose wire here and where does it go?could it be this is the reason it won't start?

Comment

Nice:-|
                    The clutch safety switch is the two wires that come out from underneith the clutch lever. Follow them into the headlight bucket and unplug them and then plug the two wires left into each other.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

ok I can hear the starter turning now when I pull the clutch lever in,so it's gotta be a fuel problem,any ideas??

Comment

Do you have spark? Is there fuel in the float bowls?

Comment

yes,it flooded yesterday.I can hear the starter click is it supposed to spin?

Comment

Mr. humblepie,

Yes, it's supposed to spin. Have you tried push starting the bike?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                            X