Starter removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter removal

My starter is bad. It pulls so many amperes the cables melt and barely turns. The battery holds enough voltage, so that's not the reason. Anyway, on my way to check it out, replacing the brushes, rewinding, whatever, I'm stuck on a simple problem... How the :twisted: to get it off my bike!

I've removed the coverplate, and the two bolts at the end of the motor. I can feel that it's loose, but I can't move more than maybe half a centimeter (yes, I've removed the cable too...). My Haynes manual says it might be necessary with some force from a wooden stick, but I've tried now quite hard, and it doesnt feel right to apply even more force.

Are there any tricks? Is it possible to 'knock' a little with a piece of wood and a hammer?

/ Henrik

Henrik,

I've checked my Clymer manual (never had to change out my starter...."yet") and it says basically the same. The only thing it adds is to also remove cam chain tensioner (if you have one). I don't know it that makes a difference.......it it just gives you more rome to work with, or if it also relieves some stress off of the pinion gear, when cam chain is loose.

Wish you the best of luck.
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Hi,
      Are you pushing it straight in parallel to the starter motor shaft. It won't come straight up because the gear is inserted into a cylinder and sealed with an o-ring. The starter has to first be pulled out of the cavity and then it will be clear to lift out.
      Hope it helps. Eddie V

Comment

It moves out a bit, but not enough.

Well, I'm trying to pull the motor to the right, along the bottom of the cavity it's in. The cavity is clearly made longer than the motor for that purpose. The motor moves very little, but is loose. The impression I get from the manuals (and the old postings here) is that the motor should slide out easily. I've tried to use a large screwdriver as a lever, but I'm worried to brake something.

/ Henrik

Comment

If your bike is similar to mine('79 GS1000) after removing the bolts you described,the starter is still 'stuck' to the engine case because of the large o-ring. You should be able to pop it out with a small piece of wood or other kind of wedge. Wiggle it just a bit and pull/push straight out. Maybe a little lube spray will help break it loose. They can stick sometimes,but don't be afraid to wedge it straight out,just use wood or wrap a tool /lever in electrical or duct tape to avoid scratching things up. Put some lube on o-ring when you replace,but a new one should be used. KK.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The starter motor can get stuck when the cavity under the motor clogs with dirt and grime that gets in around the gap for the wires.

Spray some degreaser under the motor, then hit it with a hard jet from the garden hose to flush out any oily grit. Then push the motor to the right. The O-ring should not hold it in there too tightly.

The water that you spray in there will drain away, there is a little hole in the bottom of the cavity that might need cleaning with a piece of wire.

There is nothing to gain from removing the side cover to push out the motor, but you might feel more confident if you take the cover off and see how the motor gear just sits against the starter ring. It is always a good idea to know as much as possible about the innards of the bike. Taking the cover off is an education in itself as you have to pull it against the tug of the magnets in the magneto - these are very grabby.

Kim

Comment

Working...
            X