1980 GS 550 L problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 550 L problems

Picked up an 80 Gs 550 L for 250.00 bucks with 29k on it. Pretty well taken care of but it has some issues.

When I got it it had a very high idle when warm....about 2,200 RPM. But it would also surge on me as well from 800RPm to 2200. I know they should idle around 1k. I also noticed that the left two cylinders(if you are on the bike) were not firing well. The farthest out was completely dead and the other tried to fire every once in a while. I could tell since the other pipes were hot as usual while one was cold and the other only warm. I tested it and it had compression and spark so I figured carbs were the malfunction and the idle jets were plugged tight. I got them cleared and are ready to put back on. However the surging throws me off a bit. Is there anything else I should look at before I out her all back together?

Sorry to ask so much but this is my first Suzuki. My dad was always a Honda CB 750 man(service manager at the local Honda shop) and I have only had Yamaha Viragos.

Mr. Adler45,

New carb boots and O-rings will help seal any air leaks. That's kind of what your symptoms sound like. Carburetors take practice. I don't have much, but one of the grown-ups should be along soon to answer more specific questions. You may get lots of recommendations to completely disassemble/clean/rebuild the carbs. Have you seen the carb rebuild series? And it's always a good idea to check your valve clearances before you adjust your carbs. There's a pictorial guide here.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2007, 01:48 AM.

Comment

I'm not a grown up, but here's a few things too.

Its really basic maintenance.

Start with your valves and move back maybe. Make sure your valves are properly adjusted.

Then manifold O-rings like BassCliff said, check your manifold boots for cracks etc. if so replace.

Your carbs need to be completely cleaned, dipped, blown dry, new o-rings, floats adjusted properly. Then synch the carbs.

Also check your petcock for proper operation. You shouldn't be getting any gas in your vacuum line.

Check above for the proper specs for your adjustment screws on your model (assuming your bike is stock).

Good luck and enjoy your bike.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the girl I bought this from had the carbs and petcock rebuilt when she got it. It had new kits in it, just had the idle circuit plugged tight. I put an inline fuel filter on it to remedy that from happening again.

Comment

Working...
        X