'automatic' headlight probs GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'automatic' headlight probs GS850G

Wondering if anyone can 'shed some light' on my problem. I have been working on a neglected 1980 GS 850- I did the honda Regulator fix for a low charging problem, new carb boots ,etc. Now it is running and charging, but I have no headlight/taillight. It has a Vetter, the turn signals, brake light and horn all work normally. This model has no switch for the headlight. Normally, the lights won't turn on just turning the key on, and will not activate until the motor is running. So, my question is, what 'activates' the headlight circuit on these models that have no separate headlight switch? thanks.

Originally posted by nedc View Post
    Wondering if anyone can 'shed some light' on my problem. I have been working on a neglected 1980 GS 850- I did the honda Regulator fix for a low charging problem, new carb boots ,etc. Now it is running and charging, but I have no headlight/taillight. It has a Vetter, the turn signals, brake light and horn all work normally. This model has no switch for the headlight. Normally, the lights won't turn on just turning the key on, and will not activate until the motor is running. So, my question is, what 'activates' the headlight circuit on these models that have no separate headlight switch? thanks.
    Did you check the fuse? I usally pull mine when working on the bike so it doesnt wear down while running at idle.

Comment

On my Vetter setup the headlight/running lights/tail light all come on with the ignition switch. There is no other mechanism that activates the lights... If yours used to only turn on with the engine running it begs the question as to whether there is an electrical problem that already existed or whether the previous owner rigged something non-standard up.

Good luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
        On my Vetter setup the headlight/running lights/tail light all come on with the ignition switch. There is no other mechanism that activates the lights...

I've got the same '80 850G, and the same Vetter fairing. Mine is also like Planecrazy's, as to the function of the lights.

Comment

OK, thanks for the info guys. The wiring shows evidence of having been butchered at some point in it's life, so i will start checking things. But, isn't the headlight supposed to not be on while the starter is turning to make sure the starter gets full juice?

Comment

OK, thanks for the info guys. The wiring shows evidence of having been butchered at some point in it's life, so i will start checking things. But, isn't the headlight supposed to not be on while the starter is turning to make sure the starter gets full juice?
            My 80 1000g has the head light and tail light on as soon as i turn the ignition on, i think thats the norm and its not a problem with a well maintained battery.
            sigpic

RIP..Buster my buddy, i'll leave the door open just in case!:(

Comment

What John Said! I also have a 1980 850G and when the Key is Turned the Lights come on. Sounds like the P.O. might have done some "Creative" Wiring.
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

suzuki did not employ that currentsaving feature, but some people have done the headlight over ride relay modification but that does not kill the tail light. check the fuse, don't just look at it as it is common for the solder in the end cap to melt away due to the ends overheating from poor contact in the fuse holder.

Comment

To confer with everyone else, the headlight/tail-light should come on when the ignition switch is turned on.

Did the lights work before your regulator 'fix'? One on the wires from the stator may feed into the headlight wire, and you may have fed that headlight wire into the regulator rather than into the headlight. It's a shot in the dark (excuse the pun), but I know earlier model 850s did this to prevent over-charging and the newer models didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
                    One of the wires from the stator may feed into the headlight wire, and you may have fed that headlight wire into the regulator rather than into the headlight. It's a shot in the dark (excuse the pun), but I know earlier model 850s did this to prevent over-charging and the newer models didn't.
                    The wiring harness would have to be REALLY BUTCHERED for this to happen. :shock:

The old headlight switch had two separate sets of contacts: one set for the headlight wire, the other set for the stator wire. The wires from the switch go to a 9-pin connector under the tank, where it meets up with the main harness. Look around that connector for evidence of re-wiring. In the case of your bike (with no headlight switch), there will be a loop of wire that connects two pins on that connector. That is the bridge for the stator wire that used to go to the headlight switch.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X