Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well im switching engines..

hello everyone,
    well im switching.i requier the following ive searched as much as possible but there is too much.
    here are my questions,
    how much length between the cam chain pins on a new chain.
    reason being im surveying the new engine.its seem very good so far.
    also the base gasket. the stock gasket had a lot of extra material,making (perhaps a shelf)i dont understand,what if any use does this have.i understand it is a low pressure system.but a shelve.with all that extra paper,what gives.( its about 1/2 inch)
    there must be some reason for it..
    can i get a real gasket for the base oil pan.?
    thanx fer youre help...

Exactly what sort of engine(s) might we be discussing here?

GS? KZ? CB?
    Ford?
    Toyota?
    Caterpillar Marine Diesel?
    Tohatsu Runpet?
    Stanley Steamer?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Unbelievable -- people who ask for advice on changing engines, and don't tell us what kind of bike they're dealing with. Come on, man!

Comment

oooooopppppsss

teribly sorry gs 750 e canadian 1984..
        sorry guys!!!!
        and girls...

Comment

Originally posted by marz View Post
          teribly sorry gs 750 e canadian 1984..
          sorry guys!!!!
          and girls...
          Yeah, ya betcha, kinda a big OOPS, eh???????:-D

Comment

FYI the 84 GS 750 would have a plain brg crank, a high pressure oil system

Comment

o.k. i give

all i really want to know is how long is a new cam chain for this bike .
              that is how long is 20 pins.as per the manual.on a NEW chain..if any one knows please forward.
              this way i can have a clue as to how used this new motor is..(i have several old cam chains all diff lengths.so i can make a reasonable idea of how long this engine has been used.

Comment

Not sure if it would be any different, but the book for my 850 says the service limit is 157.80 mm or 6.213 inches.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanx steve

but alas i know that..but appreciate youre effort..
                  im thinking that a new chain would be around one fifty mm..given 7mm is a lot for a chain too stretch..?

Comment

o.k. this is it why did i spend 2 dats farting around changing engines..

well today in 4 hours i compleatly strip the engine i took out ..
                    nothing ..

wrong
                    what i found was. one pan screw .mushed head worn down by somthing.
                    some of the casing worn off on the left side beside the bottom crank.about 4 mm.
                    counter shaft/ drive shaft peices missing.(dont know the tech name but there circ.paws like two were missingof the part,found one in the bottom.)funny the shift fork was fine on both.
                    upper and lower bearing(journals id call em pretty well damaged)scored.
                    i have yet to find one piano wire from any of the three clutches i have disassembled.(so nothing new there)
                    every washer was worn..
                    and it looked as if someone had just put in new pistons and did all that.
                    so the lesson is ,

IF YOURE GONNA GO THROUGH ALL THE TROUBLE OF PISTONS CAM CHAIN HONING AND ALL THE REST.

dont leave bolts ect in the engine..it only leads to money wasted..

ill remind you i bought this as is and put it in with out checking it..(yes i know)..
                    lucky im not dead..
                    but then?
                    end of story hope this helps..by the way the pan head screw wasnt missing in the engine it was an extra..

Comment

Working...
                    X