Many questions help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many questions help please!

Ok so I am not very well versed in the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence, but I do all my own. Thank you Clymer. I really wanted something with more power, but the more I ride the more I like taking my little bike up to the midrange where she takes off. Anyways, on to my questions.

1983 Gs 650 GLD 14k mi Stock

First of all I am pretty sure I need to do a valve adjustment. Slight cough out the exhaust after warm up. Would that be a correct fix? This is kinda a beater bike, my carbs and air are good, but there might be a hole in exhaust. (anyone looking to sell some 4 into 1's from the headers all the way back?)

Secondly at idle my bike makes a "clunk... cla clunk.... cla clunk" sound. I listen for it while running, but nothing. ??? Still valve shims?
    Yes it has oil in it.

Lastly, I finally put a dial on my air suspension to find out it read ZERO. No friggin wonder I have dive on braking... yes I am an idiot. I followed the directions in Clymer and the fill valves leaked air... I heard it and felt it. How hard are these to replace (bolt off bolt on), is it symptomatic of other problems, and what other parts might need love on my front forks?

Anyone want to come to Americus, GA and make my bike run like new for free while visiting Jimmy Carter in Plains and hanging out at Habitat for Humanity?

Just thought I would ask... You guys are so helpful.

Your exhaust cough may be partly the result of the hole in the exhaust, could possibly be valves but they would have to be way off to have that effect. Sounds more like carb issues to me...especially when combined with the strange noise you describe, while at idle.

As far as the front suspension is concerned, go with the progressive rate coil conversion that is raved about. Though I do not have one in mine, it will be on the list of winter upgrades / maintenance issues. The schrader valves can be replaced as far as I know, however, I have not dealt with that either.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. Skieveryday,

I can't see where you've been "officially" welcomed so, if I may,...

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Please note that "good standing" implies pictures! :-D

It never hurts to know what your valve clearances are and what size shims you have installed. It's not that hard and you need only two gaskets (breather gasket and valve cover gasket) and one special tool (tappet depressor) plus the usual sockets and wrenches. There's a procedure with pictures here.

I use a little air in my forks (about 15psi) but it's really not the ideal way to stiffen up the front end. I have a pair of Progressive fork springs just waiting to be installed but haven't had the time. I got them from MAWonline for about $57 shipped. Or to go a cheaper route, you could just put longer spacers (heavy PVC pipe) in your front forks to increase the preload. Are the fork's air valves leaking? Or are the fork seals leaking?

You mentioned "moving up" in another thread. According to my research the 650 shafties put out only about 4 hp less than, and they weigh over 100 lbs less than the 850's. That's two reasons why I'd love to find a Katana 650G to park in my garage.

It sounds like your bike needs a little TLC but I'm sure you'll love it. The community here is teaching me to be a better motorcycle mechanic and a better motorcycle rider. Thanks for joining us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

I can Speak to One Issue, GO PROGRESSIVE and Ditch the Air!:-D
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Skievryday View Post
          ... at idle my bike makes a "clunk... cla clunk.... cla clunk" sound. I listen for it while running, but nothing. ??? Still valve shims?
          Personally, I don't think valve adjustment is the cause of any of your problems, but that does not mean that it shouldn't be checked. Toss an e-mail in my direction and I will send you a copy of my Excel spreadsheet that helps you do the math in figuring out what shims to use.

The noise that your bike makes. If it's like both of mine, it does not happen when the engine is cold, maybe appearing within about two minutes of warm-up? Usually a double 'clunk' about every five seconds? Goes away if the rpm are increased to about 1500? That would be your cams walking side-to-side. One poster here did some custom machining and made some thrust washers to minimize that, but there is really no problem. The noise goes away at higher engine speeds because the additional tension provided by the cam chain pulls the cam into the center position while running.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So thanks for the invite and all the advice. I know valve check isn't hard and all, and should be done. I know what I need and I ahve researched it, but just don't want to do it if I don't have to. Wait until it gets cooler.

As far as moving up... the 650 is nice and quick once you scoot up over 5k rpm. You are off and running then! The problem is that at 75 you are up at 6k, and sustaining that speed means buzzing about. It ain't no big deal to buzz around town, but trying to go for 300 miles makes it a little tiring. So I am looking for something with the low-end torquey power. My pops has a KZ1000 and I love riding it. I have a line on a couple 850s and some CB900's (I want to stay GS though), but what I really want is an 85 1150.

Anyway as far as the forks are concerned... Progressives would be nice, but money and time as discussed with valves. The leak is the air valve and the fork seals are still good... no oil leak. So I might just replace the air valve for now. 15 psi would be a big improvement from... 0.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
            X