need urgent help (motors)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need urgent help (motors)

Can anyone help me out... I was wondering how well a GS500 motor say from a 05 will line up with with my 2001 GS500. I think they changed things around after 01, but if anyone could help me, and let me know what all i would need to do to do an engine swap, that would be great...
    thanks

Originally posted by siffty View Post
    Can anyone help me out... I was wondering how well a GS500 motor say from a 05 will line up with with my 2001 GS500. I think they changed things around after 01, but if anyone could help me, and let me know what all i would need to do to do an engine swap, that would be great...
    thanks
    Check the fiches at bikebandit.com and start comparing part numbers between an '01 and later models. I can't imagine Suzuki doing much revamping to the GS500's, they probably would rather sell more SVs or Stroms.

The bottom end of a GS500 is pretty bulletproof, so unless your tranny is trashed you might look into just rebuilding your top end...

Comment

Alright.. ill be sure to go and compare those... but yea, its torn apart, the crankshaft and everything... im not doing the work myself, a shop is. so yea.. im getting screwed over either way.. lol

Comment

IanFrancisco.... i went to banditbandit.com, and compared some part numbers.. but all the numbers are different, the pictures look the same, but the numbers are different... so is that a sure fire no, that it wont work?
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by siffty View Post
          IanFrancisco.... i went to banditbandit.com, and compared some part numbers.. but all the numbers are different, the pictures look the same, but the numbers are different... so is that a sure fire no, that it wont work?
          thanks
          Sorry, BikeBandit doesn't let you view the Suzuki part numbers, but you can search by them. If you can come up with the Suzuki part nos. you may be able to search the BikeBandit site by OE part number and see if a part fits more than one year of bike.

Sounds like the shop has you over a barrel. You might be able to get them to stop the work and give you back the bike and motor in pieces. Then you could either part it out and recover some of the money or buy another '01 GS500, and use the first bike as a parts bike to keep the 2nd bike going for a while.

Sorry I wasn't more help...

Comment

thanks for the help man... yea, i dont really want another GS500 right now, i was planning on selling this one once it got out of the shop...
            oh well.. if you hear anything.. let me know..
            thanks

Comment

If you look it up http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
              01 & 05 crankcase set shows the same part #s

Comment

dude.. thats for that help... helps a ton.. appreciate it...
                thanks

Comment

Working...
                X