whats with this petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats with this petcock

I have just recieved an 1980 gs1100lt with no owners manual or instructions, the petcock is like none i have seen before, there is no on/off valve just some plastic part inside where the valve should be, is this broken or is it supposed to be that way, if so how does it work?

It is supposed to be that way. 99% if not 100% of 1980 Suzuki GS's had a vacuum operated petcock. Suzuki went back to the "standard" design in 1981. A lot of people say they've had lots of trouble with these petcocks, but my 1980 GS550L has never been problematic and I'm quite sure it has the original factory installed unit.

You CAN use a screwdriver to set it to a PRI (prime) position if you need to, but I've forgotten offhand which position that is ... vertical or horizontal. Somebody should be along shortly to answer that question for you.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your GS!!

Regards,

Comment

The 1980 GS bikes have a vacuum operated petcock as OE. There are three positions, On, Reserve and PR(ime). Gas will not flow without vaccuum in On and Reserve, and will flow without vacuum in Prime. Someone has probably installed an aftermarket petcock. If you have a way to post pictures on the web, you can link to them here then if we can see what you have, we may be able to help.

I used a 1979 GS1000 petcock on my GS450 as the stock petcock began to leak in the diaphragm area and two of the aftermarket petcock rebuild kits I tried failed in a very short time. Found it on eBay for cheap, around $30 iirc.

Comment

@Ian- I don't think there is a reserve. Just On and Prime. That's why they put a totally reliable fuel gauge in the dash.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Up and down is prime. (You still need vacuum to activate but not at a constant) Back and forth is run. If it isn't any good I replaced mine from a guy off Fleabay named georgefix.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
            ... 99% if not 100% of 1980 Suzuki GS's had a vacuum operated petcock. Suzuki went back to the "standard" design in 1981.
            So ... just what is 'standard'? My son used to have an '81 450, we currently have an '82 650 and an '82 850 here now, they all have vacuum petcocks. It is my impression that virtually all GSs left the factory with a vacuum-operated petcock.

I think the issue here is whether there is a lever you can turn with your fingers or if a screwdriver is needed.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If it's like the one I just put in....then up and down is on, arrow pointed to right is prime, and arrow pointed to left is reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                Ian- I don't think there is a reserve. Just On and Prime. That's why they put a totally reliable fuel gauge in the dash.
                That is correct ... no reserve on the '80 bikes (how could you switch to it without a lever, after all?)...

As for what's "standard," in 1980 "standard" on almost all GS's (if not all) was the leverless petcock.

Regards,
                Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2007, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X