Carburetor "vent T"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor "vent T"???

On my GS 550, there are 2 plastic "T's" that sit between the carbs. I know they are vents, but should there be any type of line or hose running from them to a point higher up on the bike?

When I took my carbs off, the T's were just in place with no hose or anything atached to them.

Thanks!

There should be some kind of hose running from the tees. On my 850 they run up and over the air cleaner box and then back down behind the air cleaner box. On some of the GS series bike will not run right with these hoses missing. Maybe on of the guys here with a 550 can give you the correct routing for the hoses.
    80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

On the other hand ... I have five other fingers :-\"

If you are running pod filters instead of a stock airbox, it is recommended that you remove the hoses. :shock:

I have never quite figured out just why that is, but I have been told by the experts that, if you are using pods, it won't run right if the hoses are still there.
      I have never heard about a stock bike that had to have them installed, though.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On your bike the hoses are supposed to run up and lay on top the air box lid, tucked into the nifty bracket for just that purpose.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Recycled picture

Mr. SuperCell,

Here you can see a vent hose running from between carbs 1 and 2 that goes up over and down behind the airbox. There a place to insert the hoses on the back of the airbox to hold them in place.

The other loose hoses you see are, of course, the fuel line and vacuum line that attach to the petcock.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

If you are going for a 100 point concourse restoration and want your bike to look factory original, the 550 vent tubes are not supposed to be as long as those shown in BassCliff's photo. On top of the airbox lid there is a square metal loop bracket that the vent tubes are supposed to tuck into, - tubes extend an inch or two past the bracket and then terminate - they do not route back down toward the ground.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Guys....HELP!....I have a 1982 GS650G and the same vacuum lines you are talking about are missing.

Can someone provide me with information about how long they should be and the routing?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

Comment

Originally posted by RMC View Post
                  Guys....HELP!....I have a 1982 GS650G and the same vacuum lines you are talking about are missing.

Can someone provide me with information about how long they should be and the routing?

Thanks in advance.

Ross
                  I think length was already covered above Just past the bracket on the air box. The stuff is like $0.29/FT at any hardware store. I think its 1/4" tubing.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                    I think length was already covered above Just past the bracket on the air box. The stuff is like $0.29/FT at any hardware store. I think its 1/4" tubing.
                    Thanks....but length was covered for a 550.....my 650 doesn't have any clips on top of the air box. Not sure if it's 1/4 or not....appears to be same size a fuel line.

Comment

Thanks....but length was covered for a 550.....my 650 doesn't have any clips on top of the air box. Not sure if it's 1/4 or not....appears to be same size a fuel line.
                      Ohh perhaps a different model then. My L is an 850 and it has the brackets too. Definitely 1/4 inch. Grab 5 feet of it or so and then you can trim what you dont need and use the extra for a fresh fuel line

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                        Ohh perhaps a different model then. My L is an 850 and it has the brackets too. Definitely 1/4 inch. Grab 5 feet of it or so and then you can trim what you dont need and use the extra for a fresh fuel line
                        Thanks....do you happen to know how they run without the vent lines? (with factory airbox on)

Comment

Thanks in advance.

Ross
                          I have an '82 GS650G as well - the vent tubes (these are not vacuum lines) are about a foot long each. They are connected to each "T" and essentially just hang down. Their purpose is to "equalize to atmosphere" the pressure in the carb bowls.

As others have stated, if you are running pods the vent tubes should be removed.

Hope that helps,

Mike
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                            I have an '82 GS650G as well - the vent tubes (these are not vacuum lines) are about a foot long each. They are connected to each "T" and essentially just hang down. Their purpose is to "equalize to atmosphere" the pressure in the carb bowls.

As others have stated, if you are running pods the vent tubes should be removed.

Hope that helps,

Mike
                            Thanks.......mine ran great until I put the airbox boots on correctly. I guess it could be these lines causing some of the problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X